Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear friends,
Baymax is now 1yr old and generally speaking in very good shape.

I noticed a few times now that when he gets up from his naps his gait is not as fluid/perfect as usual. To my untrained eye I'd guess he's slightly stiff with his from right leg, possibly at the shoulder.

At the same time I cannot apparently elicit any pain even probing quite deep at the shoulder and elbow and he's prone to running and jumping as usual.

Something that might be totally unrelated but's he's extremely "shy" of being touched his front legs. When he gets back home drenched from our walks and I need to mop him up with a towel he's puts up a fuss when I try to dry his front legs.

I wonder if this is an acute situation triggered by some of his runs/stumbles at the park or might be sign of some chronic condition building up.

His ancestors have good elbow/hip scores.

A final element is that I am still struggling to have him behave at the leash and he pulls like a locomotive and wonder if that can exert stress on his elbows or other joints.

I am undecided as to wait some days and observe or get him to a orthopaedic vet (a 1 hour drive).

Suggestions? Thank you all.

·
Premium Member
9,181 Posts
I am a worrier too. Personally I’d rest it for a day or so and observe. It’s more likely to be something simple that serious I’d imagine.

Reactions: Mrs H.A and rjalex

·
Administrator
21,785 Posts
Pulling on the lead puts a strain on both legs and shoulders, so any strain could be in either. As with Nicola I'm very much into rest and see how it goes before involving vets.

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's pouring so we're quite forced home which will help us to be at rest ... Thanks for the suggestion, will wait over the weekend.

·
Administrator
21,785 Posts
I've been dodging the rain showers here, going for a walk with Chloe! Gales forecast for tomorrow, with temperatures around freezing and snow likely, and I'll be out in it all day working Chloe! I must be mad!!!!!!

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brave and caring, not mad :) I don't mind getting drenched provided I'm dressed well, the main problem is the mess Baymax leaves in the house as we get back with wife rightly grumbling, and personally I'm a lot more scared by wives than Labradors grumbling ;)

·
Administrator
21,785 Posts
When I went out to my truck in the dark this morning it was covered with snow. By the time I got out into the field the sleet and snow was blowing horizontal in the gale. I have to admit I really did question my sanity. But Chloe enjoyed herself. It was 4pm and I was half way home before I actually felt my fingers again! :eek:

·
Registered
Baymax, b.Nov2020
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Living in southern reaches thankfully I'm not subjected to snow or sleet as much as you. The main attraction are huge puddles, mini lakes, and Baymax loves running full speed into them, sliding in the mud and trying to drink them all :) Drenched Labs do have something in common with beavers I'd posit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts