Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my boy, trying to get some sleep. He usually finds something interesting just when he's about to doze off, but...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bcnbabe said:
I LOVE that photo! What sort of camera are you using there? You can see each hair on his head and how luminous his eyes are - well done!
Full technical details: Nikon D7000 with a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 lens, ISO 200.

The D7000 is an awesome camera, but you can pull that off with a D3200, D5200 or D5300, they also have a high resolution sensor. The "secret" is to use an off-camera flash that's pointing at the ceiling, use RAW format and expose to the right so it looks a bit too bright on the camera's LCD, but the histogram is not clipped.

There are two things I've learned the hard way when trying to photograph my black lab or my black cat: the camera LCD screen is way brighter than normal computer screens and that there's a lot more information in the highlights area of the RAW photo than in the shadows. Simply put, you get more information if you take a slightly bright photo and use some RAW image tool to underexpose the photo so it's back to a normal level.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts