Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to this,
Looking for some much needed advice! We got our Labrador when she was 10 weeks old she is now 23 weeks and we have many problems with her sleeping at night.

My partner is home all day and has encouraged her to sleep, we take her out on a morning for 1/2 hour, then at dinner i will go home and play with her, feed her and if the weather is not to hot take her out again for 20 minutes. We take her out on an evening around 8pm for another 1/2 hour walk, she is fed around 9pm and she sleeps after her tea, we make her go outside just before bedtime.

During the night she wakes up and starts whining and if no one comes she barks, we live in a built up area and i find it really hard to leave her barking as we don't want people making complaints (which they are sure to do) she wakes about 1am, then a few more times between 2am and 5am. I once left her barking and she soiled in her cage so she was obviously desperate. I wait for her to stop barking and enter the room and make her go outside, giving her no attention at all so its not as if she is gaining anything from doing this. As the weeks pass she is getting worse. The only reason we cage her at night is because when we first got her she chewed through a few wires and made a terrible mess of the carpet.

Any advice would be appreciated as i am at my wits end and very very tired!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Hello.
I’m also new to the Forum but thought i might be of some help to you.
We got our rescue dog Diesel about a year ago. The first few nights were horrible; he was barking all night long and wouldn’t stop.
My partner finally gave in and slept down stairs with him. Diesel didn’t make a sound! I couldn’t believe it. We moved his bed to out side our bedroom, something i wasn’t too keen on but was desperate for a good nights sleep. It worked perfectly. Each day i would move his bed back down the stairs then each night put it back upstairs but each time move it further away from the bedroom. Eventually he got used to it and settled down stairs.
Diesel was 3 when we got him though and I’ve not had too much experience with puppies. It might be worth a try.
Hope you get some sleep soon

Kate & Diesel

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Hi,

By responding to her barking for the last 10 weeks or so you have taught her it works, sort of an owner recall.
It will be possible to get her to be quiet through the night (even if she's not asleep) but you'll need to start ignoring her noise completely - maybe you could explain to your neighbours there will be some noise for a few weeks?

The other thing is her feed time, how many meals a day is she on? By feeding her last meal at 9pm she is then needing to toilet a few hours later. My nellie is 17weeks, her last meal is around 6pm and so at bedtime she is 'empty'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[The other thing is her feed time, how many meals a day is she on? By feeding her last meal at 9pm she is then needing to toilet a few hours later. My nellie is 17weeks, her last meal is around 6pm and so at bedtime she is 'empty'.[/quote]

She is fed 3 times a day still, once in the morning, dinner time and 9pm.

The past few nights we havent let her out when she has barked as its an attention bark and she has managed without going to the toilet all through the night, we used a DAP infuser last night and she was a lot better
We have started putting our foot down with her now she seams to be getting better, she tends to give up with her whining and fall asleep after a couple of hours but we do still go into the room just after she is put to bed, i suppose just to calm her down as she can get quite bad just after we cage her.

Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated. We just have to persevere and learn not to respond to her barking. Im sure when the neigbours see her cute little face they will understand!! lol

Becci, Andy & Sam

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Hi,

nellies on 3 meals too, but the last one is 6pm. If she's holding though there's no need to move it - although you're almost at the point age wise of cutting to 2 meals anyway. :)

but we do still go into the room just after she is put to bed, i suppose just to calm her down as she can get quite bad just after we cage her.
Glad to hear you're seeing some improvements but when you say you go back in to calm her what does that mean?
If it's just being in the room, ie no eye contact, touching or talking to her that will be fine but if you are making contact or talking then you're not really calming her as such you're just rewarding her noise and teaching her that when she's noisy after first going her bed then you'll come back...if that makes sense?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi sorry havent been on here for a while, i lost the link!

We have cut her meals down to twice a day now and we have had success with the sleepless nights.

We put her to bed about 11pm and she sleeps right through until 6am, on the odd occasion she wakes at around 3am barking. I go into the room and sit on a chair with my back towards her and she sleeps again until 6am.

So much better than before, i think she has given in to her barking as she has now realised she gets no attention from us.

Thanks for all the advice.

She is having trouble with 2 teeth at the moment, they wont come through so she has lumps on either side of her face (like little maltesers under her lip) xrays on saturday to see if it requires surgery, i hope we dont have to put her through that, they dont seem to be bothering her but i suppose at some point they will have to either come through or be removed :-(

Fingers crossed it all goes okay for her.

Basil said:
Hi,

nellies on 3 meals too, but the last one is 6pm. If she's holding though there's no need to move it - although you're almost at the point age wise of cutting to 2 meals anyway. :)

but we do still go into the room just after she is put to bed, i suppose just to calm her down as she can get quite bad just after we cage her.
Glad to hear you're seeing some improvements but when you say you go back in to calm her what does that mean?
If it's just being in the room, ie no eye contact, touching or talking to her that will be fine but if you are making contact or talking then you're not really calming her as such you're just rewarding her noise and teaching her that when she's noisy after first going her bed then you'll come back...if that makes sense?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts