Labradors Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i have ordered another 48 inch crate for down stairs to be used throu the day,
We have a crate upstairs for Harvey to sleep in at night, however he is getting to heavy for me to carry upstairs now, would it be ok on his joints if he did one trip up and one trip down the stairs per day, i am still wanting him to sleep up stairs at night with us, he will be 19 weeks monday.

Mandy and Harvey

G

·
Personally I think if one steady trip upstairs and one steady one coming down does any damage, then the damage would already have been there.

As long as he goes sensibly up and down and doesn't leap down from 5 steps up, then I think the risk of him causing himself an injury is far less than the risk of you dropping him because wriggles or you doing yourself a mischief because he is so heavy. :wink:

·
Registered
962 Posts
As I understand it, it's the going downstairs that's the problem - they shouldn't take their body weight straight on their front legs till they're a bit older. Mackie managed to follow me upstairs easily enough :roll: (he shouldn't have done!) but then get stuck at the top. He'd look down, but having skidded down on his belly once, didn't want to again! :lol: Maybe it's the right time to start him sleeping by himself downstairs? Sorry, no help more than that. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi. I took my 8 week old choc puppy (shirley) to the vet on Monday for a puppy check and asked him about her joints etc....now I know everyone/vet etc gives different advice but mine said everything and anything in reason....just use your loaf. He suggested not doing anything strenuous with her until she's between 7-9 months old. I have a 8 (soon 9) year old yellow lab who has hip/elbow dysplasia so I'm worried to death about this one. When we got Tommy (yellow one) we where young and VERY nieve and bought him from a pet shop that got them from puppy farms. We got NO advice whatsoever from them so when he was 5 months old my husband used to walk him 5 miles to meet me from work.
He now has horrid legs and I could cry when I look at him SO just take it easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts