Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Lab pup for ooooh a whole 72 hours now and she has settled in fine.

She appears to have a routine that consists of 3 hours sleep, eat, Sh*t, play for 30-40 minutes then sleep again.

She sleeps in my bedroom and gts me up at around 3am for a feed, to do her business and play a bit before dropping off again until about 7 ish.

Any tips for altering that routine ? I'd obviously like to see her settling down and missing the 3am wake !

On toilet training, I am taking her outside in out garden after meals, on waking and after play. Using the praise method and carting her outside mid flow if I catch her squatting in the house.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Any tips for altering that routine ? I'd obviously like to see her settling down and missing the 3am wake !
Hi Stanley,

How you doing there :)

Congratulations on your new puppy, how old is she?

Sounds like you're doing a great job. It's difficult at first, but you'll soon get into a routine of some sort with your lab. I must admit, we found it quite hard going when we first had Bradley, up until he was about 3 and 1/2 months, he would wake up about 3am also, wanting to play and go to the loo. We were fortunate that in somehow he knew not to go to the loo inside, and has always gone outside. On some days and nights we would take him out to pee/poo as much as 10 times a day. It does get easier though and in time, he's settled down, and now wakes up between 6.30am-7.30am. :eek:

Tips for altering the routine: Well, you could try going to bed a bit later, taking your lab out for its final loo stop about 11.30pm/midnight. I know this sounds quite late, but it worked for us, and meant we could get a couple extra hours kip. We still follow the routine now. I think as they grow older, they will eventually be able to hold it in better, and we will all be getting our 7 hours sleep again. :D

Until then, its a case of being very patient. You could try settling them down with a favourite toy, in our case, we gave our pup a soft tiger type toy, and he also got hold of a tea towel and loved it, and has actually slept with it eversince, almost like a comfort blanket! Argh- its just like having kids! :)

On toilet training, I am taking her outside in out garden after meals, on waking and after play. Using the praise method and carting her outside mid flow if I catch her squatting in the house.
Sounds about right Stanley, keep up the good work. You'll get there. Good luck with everything, let us know how you get on.

Fancy taking a few pictures to show us? :wink:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is getting good now.

The 3am wake sees her playing on her own and doing her business on her pile of newspaper most of the time.

I am still up at 7 am with her but she can stretch to 8-9 withot too much trouble.

Toilet traiing seems to be coming on fine. she occassionally rushes towards the door to the garden and lets rip just before getting there (often after excitable play) and occassionally drops the lot when I am not looking.

She has managed to empty her bowels onto my keyboard-style tv remote (it was a pleasant job cleaning that !) and all over a pile of wires behind the tele/stereo !

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
She has managed to empty her bowels onto my keyboard-style tv remote (it was a pleasant job cleaning that !) and all over a pile of wires behind the tele/stereo !

Oh know! :)

I'm glad Poppy is taking well to her toilet training apart from the odd accidental slip :p

7am seems to be our Bradley's ideal time for starting his day now, which is just right for us. I remember the 3am and 5am times well though! lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts