Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Can anybody give me a few tips on how to get our little darlings to sleep past 6.30am!. Every morning without fail Rufus wakes me up between 6am & 6.30am, that's fine mon-fri when we have to up for work but it's no good at weekends when we want a lie in.

I've tried putting him to bed later, feeding him a little before bed.

Please help cox i'm tired :cry:

·
Registered
168 Posts
We call it "weekend wake up" ... dog and kids included. Monday to Friday, the kids and Molly seem reluctant to get up, however wait for Saturday and Sunday, and whammo ... 6:30am, the whole house is alive and kicking!!!.

I think with the sun rising earlier, it naturally wakes the dogs up ... don't worry though as in a few weeks, the clocks go forward and it'll stay dark for an hour longer in the mornings (at least for a while!!!) lol.

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi,

I hope you're right about when the clocks change :)

Harvey also wakes at about 6.30am every day. It would be so nice to have a lie in. I've forgotten what one is. I would love another hour!

Fingers crossed I might get one soon :)

Fay

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi Fay

Just noticed you live in Hereford. We got Molly from a breeder just outside ... lovely part of the world!!.

Rgds

Mark

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Mark,

Yes, it is lovely around here :) Looking forward to many walks when Harvey is a bit bigger.

Whereabouts did you get her from?

Regards,

Fay

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi Fay

A little village (and I mean tiny) called Preston Wynne. It is about 5-6 miles outside of Hereford centre. In our eagerness to pick Molly up, we arrived about 3 hours early, so we got to know Hereford centre pretty well!!!.

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Hi Mark,

Yes, you would have been able to visit every shop in Hereford in that time :lol: Not the largest town centre!

Yes, I know where Preston Wynne is :)

Regards

Fay

·
Registered
168 Posts
I know what you mean!!!!!.

We had a very busy weekend, with several dogs staying at our house, which absolutely wore Molly out, but come the sunrise, she's up and about wanting more action ..... ahhhh our lovely labs do ensure we have maximum waking hours in a day!!!

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
My other half got up to Corbie at 1.15am today - apparently he was whining which he never does. So he let him out for the toilet.

An hour later he did the same, so I got up and let him out - then I realised the problem... imagine the silence of the countryside broken by the sound of Corbie with diarrhea.. :shock: Poor pup, but you wouldn't have thought there was anything wrong with him as he was still his usual bouncy self (even at 2.15am!)!

He then woke 2 hours later and i got up and let him out again and after that he was ok. I think a new chewy treat I gave him must've been too rich for him, so he won't be getting the other one I bought now.

He's perfectly ok this morning, and ate his breakfast which is good. :D

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
well my hubby gets up at 6am for work so my dogs are used to getting up with him going the toilet then have a lil playfight then run back up the stairs to me about 7am jump on my bed stick there cold noses in me face then curl up and go to sleep for another hour..LOL...if you make it boring and TRY snd ignore them maybe they will go back to sleep???..lol..ok so i lied there is no chance as they want to play...LOL..LOL

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
:D HOORAY ! ! !

Harvey is now 20 weeks old and he has actually, this morning slept past 7am - it was 8.15am. Must be a delayed reaction to the clocks changing!

It was heaven :) Probably a one off though :lol:

Fay

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have had Bailey for a month now, and we just now got him trained to go back to sleep. My husband has to get up earlier that I do, I don't want to have to get up at 6 everyday. We take him out at 6 to go potty, but them put him in our room with me. For a while he whined to leave, but I ignored it. Now he just curls up on his bed and sleeps until 7:30 with me...longer on weekends. His reward is that I go outside and play with him when I get up to release some of that energy. He seems to like the routine now. ~Jennifer

·
Registered
180 Posts
Had to smile at this post as our current guide dog pup was waking up and barking at 6.20am every morning without fail. My efforts to ignore her reduced the barking to a whine, but the real break through has come with the clocks going forward. Now she wakes up at 7.20am without fail, I'm just hoping that she doesn't adjust herself back! At least our own two Labs are sensible enough to stay in bed and ignore her.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I think we're going to have to start up the early risers club especially for our Labs!

Bradley has been a been a real angel for lying in in the mornings, up until about 2 weeks ago...just before the clock change. He now wakes up at about 6.00am sometimes earlier, he has the noisiest shake ever, then lies on the floor playing with whatever is nearest to him, usually the loudest squeakiest toy he has, if he could talk i'm sure he would shout "wakeup wakeup everyone, come and play with me now!" :D Little monkey!

As Dave is great in the mornings for waking up (unlike myself!) he gets up every morning with Brad, then works on his computer which he enjoys anyway.

Now for tips for getting them to lie-in.....these are things we have found have helped: (up until 2 weeks ago anyway!)

- Make sure the room they sleep in is completely dark, they're then unsure as to what time it is.

- Stretch out a tired arm and let them lick your hand, sometimes they just want to know that you are still there...you might have to get up if they don't sleep in your room, in which case a quick cuddle should do the job.

- Try to take your Lab out for a late night loo stop...later the better really.

Once they are awake, if you do need a lie in, as long as they are entertained and don't get bored there's no reason why they can't wait for mum and dad to have a little rest. Give them toys, or pull back the curtains so they can look out the window.

One final thing, if you do get up early everytime they whine, it's a good idea not feed them their breakfast straightaway, allow yourself to shower and get your own brekkies..they then don't associate waking you up with getting their breakfast :)

Hope your labs settle down soon with the early morning routine,

Regards

Julie

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
at least if we forget to set the alarm clock we know we can reply on our labs..LOL..LOL..which on 2 occasions my hubby has forgotton and he was glad brandy and rosze woke up..lol...

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
If we don't get up, Ben comes and squishes me in the bed!! then shuffles around biting my feet under the duvet!!! :shock: :lol:

Cristina

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Dylan just throws himself on top of me mostly on top of my head and he really is an early bird always between 5 and 6 am,lynne.

Clair just read text hope that fire was nowhere near you, lynne

1 - 20 of 22 Posts