Labradors Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few days Skylar has taken to watching Elphie eat and dying to get in there and finish off her food. We do give Skylar her food first though, but she is just not interested. I am thinking today that we will have to feed them in separate rooms, but don't really want to go down this route. Elphie eats in stages so we have to keep moving her food off the floor so that Sky won't finish it off. This is becoming tedious as you can imagine. I have decided that we have to stop pandering to Skylar and just throw her food out if she doesn't eat it, and she will then have to wait until next mealtime. Also if we leave Sky's food on the floor Elphie trys to have a go at it too. She doesn't go anywhere near Sky's food though if Skylar is eating it herself, as she had a pretty good telling off by Skylar the other day for doing so.

Does anyone have any advice on this - please.

Although Skylar has taken quite well to the pup she does seem to be sulking a bit and is not quite herself. As I said in a previous post she has lost some of her puppy ways. I am worried about her and hope she snaps out of this phase soon. Sky is suffering with an ear infection at the moment so that won't be helping either.

What a worry these labs are.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Personally if it is not eaten when we put the food down we take it away although I do allow for slow eaters , providing they dont leave it then we wait till they have finnished . Meal times are supervised ALWAYS and when each dog finishes they are required to leave the kitchen . Nobody is allowed to eat from anyone elses bowl ( with six dogs that would cause havoc !)

Changes in eating habits ! Not eating could be stress, sometimes if one dog is very dominant then another may not feel comfortable eating in front of that dog especially if they are being stared at ! , could also be that the dog that is not eating is not well ! check teeth and monitor how much they are eating ( do they turn there nose up at treats ? ) maybe they are getting more than they need ! are they over weight ? ask yourself all these sorts of questions and hopefully you will find the answer.
If they continue not to eat then think vet

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Umm food for thought (no pun intended) :D

There is nothing wrong with Sky's health apart from poorly ears. She is not overweight either. She does eat treats etc. I think it is just a case of wanting what Elphie is eating. When we put the food down Sky just sits and watches Elphie eat, just dying to get in there herself. She won't touch Elphie's food with us there though, but if we move out of the room she would eat it all up.

I just wondered if anyone else had come across this problem. I have decided I won't feed them separately. I want to start the way I mean to go on and they will have to deal with it.
I think it might be a bit of stress on Sky's part though causing this more. She was very excitable when we brought Elphie home on Friday, but I think the novelty has worn off now... :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts