Labradors Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Our 13 week old black lab (maddie) on occations goes absolutly bonkers!!. She will run from on end of the house to the other banging into the walls, run in circles, dive at us from distance etc. From what i have read from other postings it seems that this is a fairly common thing. One question though, :? should we attempt to gently restraign her when she has these mad 10mins, as we are a little concerned that she may hurt herself or that this may cause future problems with joints etc.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
364 Posts
Harvey does this as well, careering around the house at a thousand miles an hour. Ive heard it described on American forums as "butt tucking", which is a very appropiate term! .. lol ... seems to be normal Lab behaviour, one they dont grow out of very soon either so put away anything breakable before Maddie is fully grown! :lol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Max does this too... he is 18 weeks now and has done this since we got him. He used to snip at our ankles too but we stopped that by seperating him from us. Our dog trainer has reasssured us that this is normal puppy madness and he won't grow out of it any time soon. i wouldn't try and restrain your pup as it is all part of growing up, just make sure she's safe. Max normally runs about like a looney and then suddenly collapses and falls asleep!!! lol!!!

G

·
I have a now 11.5 yr old black lab called Corrie. For a couple of years up until 3 years ago a friend of mine lodged with me, she also has a black labrador. It became a standard thing about 9pm every night that my friends dog who was about 3 then and Corrie would tare around the house like mad animals, chasing after each other, bumping into the furniture. My friend and I just used to sit on the sofa with our feet up out of the way and let them get on with it. It would sometimes be a good 30 mins before they settled down again - but it exhausted them, and made them sleep! :)

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Smudge does this a lot too! He runs up and down the living room at a rate of knotts! We just kind of let him get on with it and make sure there is nothing in his way!

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Dylan is always doing that as well,i have had to put everything out of the way as he smashes things,he is 35kilos now so he's a big lad and very strong so we just let him get on with it and hope he does'nt hurt himself.it's not the ankles he bites anymore he's moved on to the bottom now.He bit a woman's bum in the vets when he went to check his elbow on friday,was i embarrased or what, luckily she saw the funny side but complained that she would'nt be able to sit again as her bottom was sore.Good job he gave her those big brown eyes that said sorry.

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
i call it max's manic time. i can normally tell when he's about to take off as ears go up tail goes down and he's off. if im sitting down he'll have a nip at my feet when he passes. if im stood up then i make sure ive got my back to the wall or else its the bum he will nip. it usually lasts about 5 mins and then he collapes by my feet and looks as much as to say "what the hell was that".
jane and max.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The girls do it too.... as mentioned, I've heard it called "butt tucking" - we call it "hunch buttin' " and I have friend with a chocolate lab that calls it the "wall of death"! :lol:

I haven't heard of it doing any damage and I actually think it's probably necessary for the pup to burn off a little energy and gain some coordination. As they get older I think it's just plain fun for them. I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to steer her away from the stairs if you have any, or from jumping up on things, just to help protect those growing bones and joints but I think the most important thing is to stay out of the way! :lol: Edie hit me once right at the back of the knees and took me out! :shock:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yup.
Molly does this. we call it her "black beauty moment". probably not helped by using humming the black beauty theme tune as she sprints around!.

SHe seems fond of doing it as sono as she is in from a walk, it's like she's making sure that it's all there, ...then she collapses and falls asleep!

She does take a failry heavy whack into the lounge wall at times, but it doesn't seem to bother her. maybe it's a bit like a swimmer using the wall to turn..it makes it that bit faster to get back to the kicthen!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts