Labradors Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

so, our lab is pretty thin. To a point were our new trainer had us worried about being reported etc!

Now we don't think we have anything to worry about should we actually get reported - he's the most pampered pooch ever!

However, the fact remains he's thin.

We don't overwalk him
We don't over exercise him
We've tried different foods
Different Times of Food
Different quantities of food
Putting water on it
keeping it dry
Praying over it!

The only thing that gets him to eat it is to grate cheese on it, or put chicken on it.

He LOVES chicken and rice but surely he can't live on that? to be honest he's happy enough with purely rice!

We tried porridge - didn't eat it

He's so fussy it's mad. We struggle to get him to eat most days. He gets in the packet recommended amount but it's tough.

Help! We've been to the vets but they aren't overly concerned, just suggested he's thin and don't worry - but hey! we're puppy parents and of course worry. I would like to put some more meat on his bones especially as we're wanting to train him more this year (last year was an issue - operation and he got attacked by another dog)

any ideas? I'll cook him chicken every meal if that's what he needs. I just want to keep him healthy.

·
Administrator
20,581 Posts
Is this Baxter? If so according to your original post he's 2 years old, so growing is well finished by now and he should be filling out. But a lot depends on his breeding. Many dogs from working lines are very much slimmer that dogs from show lines. What does he weigh and how tall is he to the shoulder?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
picture below - that one was taken Feb last year but he's not altered much from that.

He fluctuates at aroun 28/29kg, you can see his ribs clearly especially when he's out of breath.

height i'll have to check, Vets etc all agree he is a little under, I just want to curb it really.

We've tried so many different foods with him but after 3 or 4 servings it's like he's bored of it so just doesn't eat. We feed him 3 times a day (weight based on packet split into three servings)

But maybe should do 2?

you're correct he is almost 2 (next week infact) so would like him to be a little bigger, not wanting him to be fat of course but I don't want to see ribs if possible, just looks like he's underfed and not looked after.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
He certainly doesn't look thin in the photo, but if you say you can see ribs clearly when he's at rest then he may need a bit of extra weight. If you can only see his ribs when he's eating, stretching or panting, I wouldn't be concerned.
Have you tried raw green tripe?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope never tried it. Have heard good things about the raw food diet though.

can you post a link of a good supplier? Price seems to vary wildly and would like to ensure i'm getting the right stuff etc

·
Registered
21 Posts
nope never tried it. Have heard good things about the raw food diet though.

can you post a link of a good supplier? Price seems to vary wildly and would like to ensure i'm getting the right stuff etc
There are lots of suppliers and costs vary a lot, but I use DAF (Durham Animal Feeds)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well Baxter has suggested that it was sound advice!

I actually went for Wolf Tucker Tripe.

He's got (as per their advice) Chicken and Green Tripe. He actually seems to prefer the green tripe to the chicken (which amazed me as Chicken has always been the preferred option to everything!)

Two successful days so far, hopefully it'll continue and he'll put on a little weight. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Green tripe is FAB for putting on weight,I used it on my skinny girl (who also used to be extremely fussy) when she was a year old.Now she has turned into a greedy guzzler who gets fat looking at an empty food bowl and will scoff anything she gets her paws on!��

1 - 11 of 11 Posts