Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[bmy chocolate labrador has flakey skin more than normal hairloss and a foul smell coming from the affected skin area.We took her to the vet who wasnt sure but thought it may be mange and we are treating her for this ,however she's not that itchy and anything weve looked up does not mention the horrible smell .Does anyone have any ideas?][/b]

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi ish,

labby has put a good link on there.

We had Kane to the vet the other week as he was itching & had flaky bits on his coat. The vet said he may have an allergy & gave us some shampoo. He now seems to be a lot better but at the moment I don't think it was an allergy as he seems fine now....Time will tell.

Hope you get to the bottom of the problem. Make sure you keep us posted 8)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Infected skin can smell horrible - dying skin (necrotic) smells even worse.

I hope the anti-biotics take cars of the problem - what are they?

If the skin doesn't improve after a course of ab's you can always ask for a skin biopsy to be done - this will give a definate diagnosis and is usually just done under sedation in 5 minutes.

:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Make sure he doesn't interfer with the area as well - really important this - use a buster collar at all times if he is licking/nibbling as he will make the problem much worse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for their help.The treatment that the vet has prescribed is called Stronghold selamectin and Hazel is receiving her second and final dose tonight (one month after the first).

She is only 11 months old and has just been in season for the first time but I dont think that would cause the smell.

The majority of her coat has a normal dog smell ,it is this one bit which was bare and has now had a new growth of thick course black hair that really smells bad.

The vet did not take a scrape of her skin but we were going to wait for a while after the second dose of medicine to see if it improved.The smelly area was a bit red to begin with but now is just dry and flakey.It doesnt seem to irritate her too much.

Thanks again ,any advice is much appreciated.

Ish

1 - 6 of 6 Posts