Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

As you some of you already know i have my 1st labrador puppy (12months old now) and i was just wondering what the average weight is for a 12month old dog? and what is the average weight of a fully grown dog? and at what age they stop growing as a rule of thumb.

As i said my puppy is now 12 months and weighs 40kgs (this seems a lot to me0 but the vet says he isnt over weight and is just a big dog

hope for some advise

Cheers

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
without seeing his height it hard to judge but 40kg seem heavy for any lab not never mind a 12month old pup
can you post a picture?

·
Premium Member
15,716 Posts
My almost 4 year old weighs 42kg and my 10 months old weighs 37kg. They are both big boys and not over weight (Charlie's just a funny shape :roll: :roll: )

I'm guessing Harvey is from show lines so they usually are stockier. If your vet's happy with his weight then I wouldn't worry.

Have you got any pics?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is him, not a great pic as he is sat down but only one i have access too sorry ;o) Thats a 3 seater sofa just so you can get an idea of what he is sat on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Its still a little hard to see but he looks a healthy show lines boy :) But as Wendy said if your vet is happy try not to worry

He is stunning!!!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
He doesnt look like 40KG of puppy. :)
Diesel is 4 (5 in Jan) and is 34KG.
As long as hes healthy i wouldnt worry. Labs can come in all shapes and sizes as do humans :wink:

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
What a lovely looking boy - what's his breeding?

Generally if vets are saying a dog isn't overweight, then you can almost guarantee it isn't - to me 40kg does seem heavy for a Lab - but there are some that can get away with it - ideally, you would need to see him standing with a side on and top down view to get a handle on whether he looks overweight.

Definitely interested to know his breeding :D

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
gorgeous looking dog, 40kgs does sound heavy but if your vet id happy i wouldn;t worry about it. He;s just a big lad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dog at 12 months weighs 25 kilos and he was about 28 kilos when we got him at 6 months .He stands about 23".I think he looks better at the lighter weight
The bitch is smaller 21" and varies between 21 and 23 kilos.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
:D What a lovely looking lab.

Vets are usually over cautious about weight, I think, so if he says you are ok, you are. From the picture you have posted, you have a lovely, big boned lab, who is not overweight.

Weight cannot be generalised. As with humans, you have such a broad spectrum of shapes and sizes. Yours is a chunky boy. That is bone and not, waistline

:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Pippy's a year old and 20 maybe 21 kg but she's small and from working lines so don't think it's a useful comparison. Harvey looks beautiful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts