Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beautiful chocolate lab and I am going to look at a silver pup tomorrow. My little Gretel is almost 2 and a half. does anyone have experience of having two young dogs and is this a good age to have a second one. She has lots of dogs around her in the family and is extremely sociable with all dogs.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Research health issues in Silver Labs......it's really not good and could cost you £0000s over a lifetime.

Reactions: Maddie

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Hi Buzbob, the silver Labrador breeders will tell you that 'dilute' has always been present in the breed via the chocolate/liver Labrador. This is simply put a lie that has been perpetuated since the first outcross in the US in the 1980s, where a kennel also happened to breed Weimaraners. Now, four decades later, if you do a DNA test on a silver Labrador, it will come back as a pure Labrador, because we are so many generations in to the dilutes being present. However, the 'good' breeders of Labradors, ie the ones that don't try introducing a new, rare so therefore marketable, then fashionable colour, know that dilute was never present, it has been introduced and traced back to a specific kennels in the US. Some kennel clubs around the world are refusing to therefore register them as Labrador retrievers, and the UK KC has recently taken steps to discourage the breeding and registration of them. Now we have a problem though, because the UK KC allowed them to be registered under silver not recognised, and charcoal not recognised, and has chopped and changed how dilutes have been registered with the KC. So if the UK KC make it more difficult to register dilutes, then some breeders of dilutes will simply register them as chocolate. And so now you have breeders who don't want to be associated with this outcross, who are testing their dogs to show they are clear of any dilute gene, so therefore not associated with the Weimaraner outcross.

The health issue with the Weimararner outcross is mainly colour dilution alopecia, or CDA, which is only associated with the dilute coat colours, and it's present in other breeds such as the apparently 'rare blue' Staffordshire bull terrier. They are so rare I only come across them constantly, still with some owners claiming they are rare, but because it's a different coat colour to the norm the puppy buying public see, so they become desirable, then fashionable, and so there is demand and guess which type of breeder steps up to supply that demand. Don't get me started on the number of dilute and merle marked French bulldogs brought over during lockdown, bred in Eastern Europe with falsified registration documents and are now registered with our UK KC. And of course the puppy buying public lapped up all these 'new' colours and markings, without any research, and of course merle/dapple is associated with health problems, and was never present with French bulldogs previously. But then, when you have a breeder of dilute Labradors openly stating they are willing to breed merle marked Labradors if there is enough demand, you start to see the problem is with those breeders who are driving fashionable colours/markings, and the puppy buying public who buy into these new colours and markings.

So, apologies for the essay, but there is no such thing as a silver Labrador, it is an outcross going back numerous decades. It was done to supply a new, rare, so therefore fashionable coat colour without any thought given to the health problems that may occur. Personally I wouldn't support that sort of breeding when buying in a puppy, so the answer from me would be save your money and wait for a well bred puppy that is the correct colour. Speaking of which, our UK KC has now amended the breed standard to state just this, ie the only correct colours are black, yellow and liver/chocolate, and it is also stating there is a range of shades for liver/chocolate similar to the description for the yellow coat colour.

·
Premium Member
9,343 Posts
I hope the OP sees this and takes note.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts