Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
?

·
0 Posts
I think if you ban something or make it very controversial, it makes many people want it all the more. Just look at the song Relax (Frankie goes to Hollywood). 9 weeks at number one and sold 2 million copies. Dogs aren't that different. The more fuss we make about Silver Labs, Cockerdoodlepoos, or whatever, the more popular and desirable they become and the more puppy farmers breed them.

So the KC are allowing registration of dubious coloured dogs registered with the AKC, is that really SUCH a big deal? I mean they register dogs bred from British lines all the time who haven't had any health tests, and I think that's a much bigger issue.

Whether these Silver Labs are Pure or not is open to debate. Obviously the AKC think they are, else they wouldn't register them. But then what's "pure" anyway. All breeds of dog were made up of a mixture of breeds originally.

So personally, I think it's a lot of fuss about nothing...well nothing really important anyway. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I find it facinating how frantic some Labrador breeders, mostly show folks, are getting over this topic. Stop giving it endless airspace and it will drift, people!! (And I don't mean you Jo, you have no idea how frantic otherwise sensible people get themselves over this on FB and suchlike!!)

I've written at length so many places on this I wont bore peeps again, just to say, I bet 50/60 years ago many of the top show folks felt exactly like this about chocolates! ;-) I only don't want Silvers to drift here because they tend to be bred by idiots out ONLY to breed for colour and charge insane amounts of money and dupe the public. We have enough of those breeders in our and other breeds already to have a load more appear!

Di

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I completely agree, what baffles me most is that I'm sure people have been calling pale chocs silver for a long time, and registering them as such, so it's not new. I just don't see the point in breeding for a colour that isn't recognised, apart from the obvious cash thing.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Its ALL for the obvious cash thing ;-) So *they* see a reason ;-) Why work your backside off to raise a fantastic but 'common as muck' (lol) black litter for £650 a puppy, when you could charge £1000 or more for a 'rare' silver labrador ;-)

Di

·
Administrator
20,491 Posts
At the moment it's all being stirred up again by one person, and according to his FB profile he lives in Rotterdam. So do we take it that the Netherlands have sorted the problem?? If not why is he shouting "Shame on you" at the UK KC? If he wants to shout at anyone outside his own Netherlands maybe he should be shouting at the American KC because America is where the problem arose.

Far be it for me to defend the KC, but it has to be remembered that if you can prove that a pup comes from registered parents then the KC has no option but to register the pup, or risk being taken to court. The only thing the KC can do is either register them under the dilute colour, chocolate, or to register them using the colour description as non standard as they started doing some years ago when people were trying to register "White" Golden Retrievers.

And as to his complaint about the KC registering puppies from a PRA carrier!!! I thought that was the object of DNA testing, so we need not exclude ANY dog from the gene pool!

Sorry but there is so much I cannot agree about in that petition that I cannot sign it as it stands.

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't, and wouldn't sign it John, for the very reasons you mention.

I can understand people jumping up and down about it, but people are always going to exploit rare and unusual colours for the very reason they command a high price. There's still the perception that blue staffies are rare, and yet not only are they abundant, but they are more prone to skin problems. It doesn't take much homework on the internet to find any of this out, so it baffles me that there's such a huge demand for anything like this.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
John did you see i challenged him on a couple of threads? Yet total silence and apathy to his mongering from other group members. If you are going to slag off our kc, at least have to be governed by them i say!!! 😃

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
I have to say I find the humongous size of some of the labradors from America much more worrying than the colours. I think they are crossing them with bears ;)

I've decided to keep out of the whole debate and just get on with my own plans, dreams and aspirations.

·
Administrator
20,491 Posts
John did you see i challenged him on a couple of threads?
No, I didn't Di, but I'm afraid I read the early post by him, went to have a look at the petition and switched off at that. So much these days seems to be aimed as slagging off the Brits and all things British whilst cheering everything American so rather than end up arguing yet again I'm afraid I take the easy way out.

Regards, John

·
Registered
588 Posts
Though not a breeder it is fairly obvious that ideally every KC registered Labrador Retriever should be a Labrador Retriever.

If I wanted a KC Registered silver dog I would own a Weimaraner.

If I wanted a dog with silver Colour but also with Labardor properties I would consider a Silver Labrador, Labrador Cross Weimaraner, Labmaraner, Weimador etc etc. I am yet to be convinced that all so called Silver Labradors are pure bred Labrador Retrievers. I have not yet read anything to convince me such a purchase would for me be an ideal choice or that people are always selling these dogs with adequate info, reassurances & from health tested parents.

If allegations thus far have some truth then issues I would have have are..........

1) Allegations of people selling Crosses as Purebred Lab's.
2) Allegations of owners not informed before cash changes hands.
3) Allegations re abscence of parental health test.

The above alleged issues are, however, not unique to so called Silver Lab's.

I have said before that I do not have an issue with cross breeds or hybrids so long as health is factored & breeding is done responsibly.......New breeds and breed changes come from mixing with other breeds.

Weim's are often visually stunning. Some regard them relatively complex characters - perhaps too complex for some tastes. I doubt I would choose a pure bred Weim over a Lab....that said I am sure some Weim owners might not want to own a Lab instead either.

As for the ethics of breeders being motivated by money I am sure that financial motivation is not exclusive to breeders of so called Silver Labradors

I have seen cheaper than £1k prices advertising for Lab/Weim crosses albeit absent of mention re health tests. £1k is a lot for a pup without parental test results. As with all breeds and hybrids........some are less concerned re costs & other issues than others - whether through ignorance or otherwise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its a Weimarner / Labrador at Best!

I have posted this elsewhere but think it of such importance whenever I see the Silver Labrador threads I will post it again.

We are owners of a female Chocolate Labrador and a female Weimaraner we think they are both great and are only a day apart in age so remember I guess very little else. Never a cross word between and some interesting behaviours which I wiil share in other forums. The Labrador is 70% Stormley Labradors and whilst the Weimaraner thinks she is in charge the Labrador is really and a well placed 30 second stare from the Labrador has the Weimaraner back in place.

Being owners of both breeds but not breeders we have been approached a number of times with regards Silver Labradors with suggestions that we should surely want to do it. It is the Weimaraner that these people are interested in!

Ok so here is my problem if we are being approached then there is a Weimaraner in the mix somewhere.

Now not foolish people both my wife and I have viewed Silver Labradors not only on the net but visited purported breeders. So for your sort of first exercise look at a Weimaraner and then Google "Ripley the Silver Labrador".

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/labradorphotos9.htm

First its a handsome animal no doubt but its a Mutt its a cross breed Weimaraner / Labrador.

On visiting a breeder oh of course we had our doubts before we got there. We saw the Silver puppies but just being the people we are we always want to see Mum. We asked and were taken up the Garden before we reached the end I said on Seeing Amber Almond Shape eyes looking at me from a Kennel oh you have a Weimaraner. I was told no that is the Silver Labrador imported from the USA.

What happened next was a mixture of pity and amazement. With us and I think the owner was genuinely unaware ( Yes I do thinks its possible) explaining to her that she had some kind of Weimarner / Labrador mix. I would like to say that the mother was a handsome animal but sadly not she was and dog owners forgive me here a Mutant with very distinct variations occurring in her frame and body.

For example Long legs , heavy body, coat neither sleek nor heavy , a long thin neck with a heavy head. Weimaraner ears and eyes, a bushy otter like but overly long tail. The list sadly went on. I hope that we did not cost this animal its home as the owner was livid as the price and shipping etc had been incredible.

If you had closed your eyes and run your hands over the dog you would have said Labrador/weimaraner no Labrador no Weimaraner etc .

Lets no support this cross breed it could be the ruination of 2 great breeds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts