Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I not keen on the silver labradors and I think at the moment they are only in the US....

Just wondered what others thought about them?

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
I read about these before - I think its awful that they get away with charging so much (I'm sure I read the price was $1000+) just for the colour!

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I heard that as well it is right out of order adn why jusy cos of the colour which too me does not seem right on a labrador

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Is it truly silver or very, very pale yellow? I know the pale yellows are very much in vogue at the moment in the show ring, especially v pale Goldies.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think it's disgusting what people are doing. They are clearly crossing weimaraner x labrador, and then come with this b******t that it's "genetic". Funny that this "genetic" only seems to happen in the U.S. Regards,

Labrazil.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
I've just read that the AKC will not acknowledge them as silver so puts them down as Chocolate! They look nothing like chocolate - definitely more like a Wiemariners colouring of grey.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
choclate..lol..they are defiantly colour blind then arent they..lol..
yes definatly crossed with a wiemariner...
wiemariner dogs are very handsome looking but there colour looks strange on a lab..lol.

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep as always and it seems to start in the US and then come over here I hope the Good breeders dont go down this road which of course they wont it will just be the ones seeing an opportunity

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep as always and it seems to start in the US and then come over here I hope the Good breeders dont go down this road which of course they wont it will just be the ones seeing an opportunity

·
Registered
196 Posts
Karen said it all: Fast money. While they sell pure labradors for $500, $600, the "silver labs" are sold by $1.000 $1.200, only because people are stupid and know nothing about labradors before buying a puppy. I just hope that this disgrace don't come to Brazil. Regards,

Labrazil.

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
You would think those that can afford to pay that much would want all the "kosher" paperwork that goes with a pedigree lab too? Or do they have more money than sense? I am surprised a the low $ price for a lab tho. Here in France a good lab can cost anything from €850 to €1,000!

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought hershey 6 years ago and I paid just over £500 for him which of course he is well worth it :D

·
Registered
880 Posts
it is still a purebred lab, there is a gene which dilutes the original colour which is how you get the very pale yellow but almost white labs too, that has got into the chocolate colour too and so genetically they are chocolate, I dont mind them to be honest but I wouldnt choose to own one, but them I wouldnt choose to own a choccie either, doesnt mean that theyre not lovely dogs. However I feel dogs should be bred for their health and temprament rather than aethetic values or price, for instance in the last 10 years I feel choccies have grown so much in popularity (certainly in Southampton) and I know more choccies walk there than yellows or blacks and some of them are badly bred in an effort to get chocolate pups rather than yellow or black, that is wrong. at the end of the day a lab is a lab is a lab and there all sweethearts who make their owners very happy and thats what matters.
Anna

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Coco was £500 2 and a half years ago. (From a home breeder rather than a professional breeder - both parents had v low hip and elbow scores and clear eye certs)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Proving that they are doing dodgy stuff, they never put the full pedigrees of the dogs in their websites. One of them has even the cheek to charge $10 to send you a copy of a pedigree if you want to see it. And, not happy in creating these "silver labs", they also created the "charcoal lab", which is a darker version of the "silver lab". Maybe soon they will be showing blue and green labs and swearing they have genetic accidental colour changes. Regards,

Labrazil.

·
Registered
880 Posts
vogue was 500 from a professional breeder as a pure lab however richey was 125 from a home breeder (the bitch came into season earlier than expected) and although his dad is pure lab and his mums pure goldie his a mixed lil boy, i love them both the same tho!
anna

·
Registered
196 Posts
Anna, the silver labs inventors claim they are chocolate mutants, not crossbreed. If that was true, how to explain the fact that "silver labs" only born in the U.S.? Regards,

Labrazil.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts