Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allergies - Signs To Look Out For

Depending on the type of allergy, your labrador may exhibit different symptoms. Although dogs occasionally exhibit watery eyes and some sneezing, the most common reaction is scratching.

Constant scratching of an itch may lead to raised infected welts, open sores, and loss of hair. Ear infections are also common in dogs with allergies.

Dogs who are affected by allergies may suffer their entire lives; typically symptoms worsen as they get older. We can help alleviate some of that suffering by knowing the signs of allergies and finding the right type of product relief for the symptoms.

Contact Dermatitis

Less common allergies include contact dermatitis and flea allergy dermatitis. These allergies may cause:

Red itchy bumps or blisters on sparsely-haired areas of the skin

Intense scratching

Hair loss (in chronic conditions)

Food Allergies

Food allergies account for less than 10% of all allergies in dogs.

Food allergies may show up concurrently with allergies to pollen, dust, etc. Symptoms include:

Itching, especially face, feet, trunk, limbs and anal area.

Ear problems, often yeast-related.

Skin infections that respond to antibiotics, but then recur as soon as the antibiotic treatment ceases.

Occasionally, dogs with true food allergies may have increased bowel movements and soft stool. Food allergies should not be confused with food intolerances, which are not true allergies, and generally cause diarrhea and vomiting.

Watching your lab go through the misery of allergy symptoms can be miserable in itself. If you suspect your lab has allergies, visit your vet.

The severity of the symptoms will determine how your vet decides to treat them.

We would like to thank www.drsfostersmith.com for the above information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was so relieved to read your messages. keo is 5yrs old and since she was about 2, from the middle of May to the end of June, her eyes and nose run and she scratches like mad ! She loses most of the fur from her feet and patches on her lower legs. She scratches her ears a lot too. She is miserable but not ill. (Still eats - but then she is a lab ha ha- it would take more than an allergy to put her off her food). As soon as July comes she is fine - no symptoms again until the following year. Before I read your messages I did wonder if it was a form of hayfever (grass pollen allergy) now I think it probably is.

·
Premium Member
8,846 Posts
Coco chews her feet in spring and summer but not enough to make them sore or lose hair though. I put this down to some sort of grass seed allergy She scratches sometimes but not incessently but her skin in clear and healthy. She does have an allergy to flea saliva so we keep up the Frontline routine once and month instead of once every two months.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Thanks julie....

nic whenever Frodo chews his leg i know he'd got a tic between his paws and i'm correct... :( even frodo has flea saliva allergy... :? i do have a tuff battle with ticks and fleas ...most strays on our roads are biggest carriers of ticks and fleas and no one to do anything... :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts