Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
It has been a long time since I have been on here, but I am hoping for for some help/ideas for Max please. He is 9 now, and generally well, has eaten Millie's Wolfheart mixture of half tinned food half kibble last few years, various flavours, all good. Keeps at 32-33kg and generally 2 decent poos a day.

On the 12th Feb he was sick overnight, no obvious scavenging but you never know. Fine the next day and a half, then on 14th sick 4-5 times over 6 hours and was bringing up water as soon as drinking it, eventually some blood, so off we went to the vets - anti sickness injection, seemed well otherwise, and after a starve gradually back on egg or fish/chicken and sweet potato in 5 small meals. Twice in the next week we tried to introduce some tinned food (Millie's or Chappie, both same effect) - sick again but not too bad, so we went back to basics with a starve and gradual build up over 6 days on home cooked small meals, to reintroducing tinned over 3 days. All good until a slightly larger tinned meal and he was sick again a week ago last Monday , then 4 times in as many hours and couldn't even keep water down. Saw the vet, another injection, a week on omeprazole, blood test for pancreatits was negative but he seemed in real discomfort for a day, loud smelly burps, laying outside in the cold, stretching his back legs. Then better again, slow home cooked build up, saw the vet yesterday, all good to try tinned again from Monday and today he was sick literally 1 minute after breakfast, and again 6 hours later with just a spoonful of chicken and potato.

He hasn't bought water up today and has just managed an egg, then an hour later a small piece of fish. We will call the vet again in the morning for advice as he just doesn't seem to be able to tolerate either a change of food or increase in volume. We have heard there is a bug going round affecting dogs with similar effects, but his poos the whole way through have been perfect. Sickness can be a challeneg to get over, but we are normally over it by this point and he hasn't had anything for over a year.

Just wondering really if anyone is experiencing anything similar or if this rings any bells - is there really a bug going round?
Thanks
Mandy

·
Administrator
20,396 Posts
Sounds so much like Amy last year. Like Max she had an anti sickness injection, but the effects soon wore off and she was as bad as before. I really thought I was loosing her! I went back to the vet and they gave her a second injection. I started giving her very small helpings of chicken and rice. She managed to keep the small helpings down so I gradually increased the size of helpings. About a week later I started adding just a little of her usual food in and over the course of a week I increased the proportion of her usual food until she was back on that completely. She lost quite a bit of weight, looked starved! But don't worry about that. You can build him up again after this is sorted.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I can understand you being worried, that's a long time for it to be going on.
There is a nasty sickness bug going around, one of our local vets put a warning on their facebook page a while ago. It's causing dogs to feel extremely ill for several days and taking a couple of weeks to get over.
How is your dog in himself? Is he active or lethargic?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts