Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Yesterday evening we took Scooby out for his evening walk and everything was ok, untill we got back home, where he had expolsive Diarrhea. He carried this on for the whole evening and i had to stay up with him last night just to comfort him. This morning it stopped around 8am, and he's still eating well and wagging his tail and running about like a loony. However when i returned back from work at lunctime today, the diarrhea had gone watery and had blood in it?. I am feeding him on Chicken and Rice, but not sure whether to take a trip down to the Vets just to make sure that everything is ok. As i say he's only had it for the last 24hrs!

He also threw up once last night and on further investigation there were small black berries in his vomit that hadn't been digested, could this be the problem? They don't grow in our garden but he must have picked them up on his walk around the field!

Thanks Bev

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Bev

I would take him to the vets straight away if there's blood in his stools
Just to make sure.

Diarrhea itself is common in pups but blood in it and being sick as well would definately be a case for the vet.

I would phone straight away.

Gordon

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Hi Bev,sounds like he's got colitis and will need some antibiotics,not very nice for the baby,Ben used to have it quite often.Probably eaten something he shouldnt just as pup do.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Bev

So sorry to hear that Scooby is under the weather. Please keep us posted and let us know how he is.

All the best,
Nicola.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello All,

Thank you for your concern. I did take Scoobs to the Vet in the end, even though he did stop throwing up that day, i just wanted to make sure. The Vet has put him on tablets, which he is taking like a very good boy and i have him on Rice and Chicken to ease the irritation in his belly.

According to the Vet this won't be the last time he'll have this upset seeing Labs are scavengers! My little Baby Boy, NEVER!!!! :lol:

Anyway he is much better now and will have to learn to stay away from those Berries!!

thanks Bev

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
According to the Vet this won't be the last time he'll have this upset seeing Labs are scavengers! My little Baby Boy, NEVER!!!!
Hi There Bev,

Good to hear Scooby is ok now, you're right about the scavenging - it's what they do best! Bradley has been to the vets before now after licking something of the pavement which gave him a stomach upset, no matter what it is, they will try and get their chops around it!

Take care now

Julie

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Bev,
Im so pleased to hear that scooby is getting better and that he will remain in good health. I dont wish to alarm you but our 5 month old black lab bitch Heidi died on Monday after picking up some kind of stomach bug. We had owned her for only five days when she started to be sick then had diarrhoea. i starved her for 24hours then took her to the vets who gave her an injection of antibitotics and one to stop her feeling sick. She continued to be poorly and i rang the emergency vet. Heidi was put on a drip but she did not recover. Thankfully my other two labradors have shown no signs of being poorly. May be because they are older 11 yrs and 5 yrs. May this be a warning to all of us labrador lovers never to be hesitant on taking our dogs to the vets no mater how silly it seems at the time, after all we know are pets better than anyone else. Heidi was an angel and we are heartbroken.we know we cannot replace her but we are in search of a chocolate bitch, we have a yellow dog Harry and black lab dog Neo so we thought we would go for a full set, one of each colour!

Extra cuddles for all our dogs

smiffy

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Bev

I am so glad to hear that Scooby is feeling better. Smudge tries to eat almost everything he sees now and I do find it very worrying!

All the best,
Nicola.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts