Labradors Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Well whenever we shower Bradley its a huge escapade ;)

He detests showering, we have a small, low power external shower fitted to our motorhome which we use for this purpose, but Bradley goes ballistic, he jumps around and even whines a little sometimes !!

We have tried many variations, i.e. giving him his food first and then a few treats during the procedure but to no avail.

Anyone got any ways of helping us shower Bradley so that he enjoys it a little more ?

·
Registered
286 Posts
bathing

Jack and Misty don't like baths either. Labs seem to enjoy stinky stuff rather than clean. Short of using yucky or muddy water this may be a real test for clicker training. After you do some of the other commands first.

For bathing, start by getting him to stand in the shower without the water running. Then run it just a dribble. Then a little more and finally when it is a real bath. This is going to be a real test as it will be possible to reward the wrong behavior. Figure out what it is you are rewarding him to do and take it slow.

HTH

G

·
0 Posts
Hi

Hi, im pretty lucky really coz my dog's love the water i shower my puppy with puppy shampoo and he love's getting wet!!
I take my older dog down the nearst beach and he dive's into the water!!
The best thing i done to get lucky used to the water was, i put his favairte toy in the bath as well with him and just got my hands and poored water over him!!Then after he got used to that i put the shower on really slow and now he's fine with it on. I lkie the way he tries to swim!!lol
Anyway good luck with bathing your dog/dog's!! :toothy2:

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Milo, well Bradley loves the water ordinarily. He swims at any given chance if we are near the sea/lake etc, its just the shower he has a problem with ;)

due to our extraordinary lifestyle of travelling in a motorhome, its not quite the same as a normal house, our shower is a shower head attached to the exterior of the motorhome which we can activate by use of a trigger grip.

We are going to try the toy/treat and very slow trickle of water first and take it from there

·
Registered
43 Posts
Both of our Labbies look like you beat them when they have to have a bath. Fortunately that isn't very often. It has been well over a year if not closer to 2 years since they had an actual shampoo bath. They go swimming every now & then. After swimming they smell like pond water for a bit then their natural smell comes back. They never pick up the dirty dog smell. I get down and give them a good sniffin' and smell their ears about once a week. They have never had an ear infection or an unpleasant aroma. 8)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bath him when he actually doesnt need one.

Let him get in the bath with you - waheey - and use the shower attachment. He'll soon grow to love it.

I think some dogs associate showers with having done something wrong to displease you. They get muddy , get told off for trapsing it throught the house etc etc then you shower em. The shower is seen as a second punishment.

Try to make it an extension of the activity that got him into a showerable state - labs love getting mucky so let them !

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I think some dogs associate showers with having done something wrong to displease you. They get muddy , get told off for trapsing it throught the house etc etc then you shower em. The shower is seen as a second punishment.

Try to make it an extension of the activity that got him into a showerable state - labs love getting mucky so let them !
I had never thought of it like that, and think that could be why our Bradley doesn't like it. Good advice - Thanks :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Chuck will be 4 years old in January and has had only one bath in his 4 years.. That was when we brought him home ..

The vet advised that we shouldn't bathe him unless absolutely necessary. (ie.. rolls in poop or fish guts etc)
He said that his undercoat is weather resistant and that bathing removes the natural oils which would take away the protection from cold water and cold weather.

So because he swims in the ocean which rarely warms up here .. the only thing we have ever done was rinse off the salt water after swimming ... We do that with the hose and although he loves to swim he doesn't like to be rinsed off ... :? He tolerates the rinsing with his ears back and pasted to the side of his heard .. when he is done he goes into a butt-tuck all over the yard! :D

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
So because he swims in the ocean which rarely warms up here .. the only thing we have ever done was rinse off the salt water after swimming
Hi, 8)

This is the main problem we have with Bradley, he loves to swim in the sea, but now we dread taking him as he absolutely hates being rinsed of, we have tried all methods, slow trickles with the shower, sponge and washing up bowl, bottled water, everything, and have used special treats to entice. Nothing works though, he is terrified of any water dripping on his back, although he adores swimming in lakes, sea etc, its very strange.

Anyone else have anymore ideas, i don't want to stop him enjoying himself in the sea, but don't want him to be terrified everytime we rinse him of. (Needs rinsing as sea salts make him itch) He literally runs a mile unless we hold him still, and then he struggles like mad. :(

Your ideas always appreciated- thx.

Bradleysmum :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
showering

why is it that you feel that you have to shower bradley regularly, is it because he gets muddy, you do not say the reason why he needs to be showered.
If it is because he gets muddy, might I suggest that you rub him down with a large towel and let him dry naturaly, I know that some times this gives off quite a musty smell when a dog is wet and then dry's in a warm envoiriment but it is better than washing all of the oils from his coat, if you just think that he needs a wash then give him a swim in some fresh water and then dry him down with his own towel.
If you swim him in the sea then you run the risk of him swallowing salt water, this will cause him to scoure ( have the runs in an awful manner IE uncontrolled this is the last thing that you want in a motor home) it will also cause him to dehydrate as dogs do not sweat like us and so cannot get rid of the excess salt like we can, this can be highly dangerous to the dog so if you swim him in the sea be warned, and make sure he has plenty of fresh water to drink

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Thanks Callestr,

Yep as mentioned earlier its because he loves to swim in the sea (otherwise bathing would not be an issue) but of course with the sea salts, amongst other things, he does need rinsing after. :?

Thanks for the advice, we always make sure that there is a big bowl of fresh water available to Bradley at all times, and so far we haven't had an issue with him drinking the sea water, or having diarrhea. :shock:

Due to our life style and his love of the water, i feel it would be unfair to stop him swimming in the sea (especially as it can get hot) and he loves a cooling down.(Plus its a great form of exercise for them :D ) It's not an everyday thing so is fine with us, i just wouldn't want to let him miss out on something he so naturally loves doing, and if i could find a way to make him enjoy a rinsing of afterwards, it would be great. :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
We showered Yasmin for the first time last week. She was really scared and didnt like it at all!
My other half held and stroked her head, to keep her calm, while i washed her. The poor thing was shaking all over!
It was a task to dry her too! She was scared of the hairdyer! :lol: Bless her! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts