Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed when stroking Truffle that I can feel about an inch of breast bone poking out of his chest. Is this normal or am I underfeeding him? He looks a little slim around the ribs, not much of a fat layer covering them so I think he's had a growth spurt recently, but rather worried about this breast bone as it seemed to poke out rather too far (but then I don't know if it should or whether more food would cover it in fat anyway!).

Thanks

Cat

?

·
0 Posts
I think it depends on the individual dog and it's shape. I can't feel it on my Labs but they have quite barrell chests but I can easily feel it on the Pood and on my Lurcher it used to stick out like a thumb. No amount of padding up covers them either, it's just the way they are put together. :wink:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phew - thanks for that Jules. Hated to think I was underfeeding him! He's quite skinny around the chest, so that's probably why I can feel it.

Thanks

Cat

·
Registered
794 Posts
i can feel megs, she is quite stocky and muscular but she has got a little puppy fat that you can squeese either side if you get me but the bone sticks out naturally
It takes a hell of a lot to underfeed a dog i know we worry about the ammount we feed dogs but when you see neglected dogs all boney it usually means they have been with out food for weeks! dogs can servive on very little food, so dont feel your underfeeding her bcause you can feel bones if that makes sence....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts