Labradors Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I just wanted to pick your collective brains. I am visiting 2 young black labs in the next week hopefully. They are 18 m.o and 14 m.o. My concerns are things like, how do I bond with the dog when he's had a previous owner? How do I take over training the dog? I guess I just want to know the sort of things I need to ask/check for etc when I'm visiting.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Hi Labnewbie,
Great news.
Try to clear a few days for when you new dog arrives, so you can concentrate on him/her and not have lots of distractions / visitors etc.
and allow him to settle into his new environment.
Practitical info that the rescue will provide you with (assuming you're using a rescue and as far as they can) will be:
dates of vaccinations / worming / any health problems
What food they eat - when
What commands they know, how they are with other dogs, cats, people, children etc.
Please bear in mind though that sometimes previous owners may not give the whole story, and sometimes it is not possible to have a full history.
As far as training goes, yes I would start classes as soon as you can. Even if the dog you adopt has basic training, it will help with the bonding and will be useful for you.
As far as bonding goes, the best advice I can give is to give it time and patience. It may happen quite quickly, it may take a bit longer, but the dog you bring home will not be the dog you have in six months time. As a volunteer for rescue and having seen it first hand, their capacity to bond with a new owner never ceases to amaze me.
Are you going to Malt Kiln Farm?
A book you may find useful is Gwen Bailey's The Rescue Dog.
Let us know how you get on and will keep my fingers crossed for you.
:)

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
i agree with lablover

we have had rosze for 1 week now :) the first 2 days was us sorta getting used to her and she us loads of new smells for her and loads of corners and rooms to explore so basically she had the run of the house and could what she wanted (well sorta..lol) the 3rd day we started to tell her no on things she couldnt do ie:jump up ,,move away from kids when they eating (although she is very good and just drools on the floor..) sit before meals the usual basic commands...
lablover is right on dont listin on what the x person/owner says the dog can do (unless it is reliable info) as when we got rosze he said she was fully trained the only thing she was trained on was the toilet..lol..but that gives us a clean slate to work on. he said she was quite well she is the opposite very lively and loud..lol. but then again he was never home so he wouldnt really of known..lol..
like i said we are now 1 week in and she is such a lovely dog we are so pleased we got her another 3 weeks and i might start leaving the house a bit longer(at the moment its 10mins while i take kids to school) as i will be staying in for 4 weeks till i know rosze is very well settled and doesnt chew the house to pieces..lol.and she knows she is here to stay with us for good :)
all in all enjoy your new member of the family and i hope she/he settles in very well with you :):)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice guys, great stuff - I'm only going to see the one dog now as the owner of other one has decided she loves him too much to let him go now! Awwwww!

The other one I'm going to see is a pedigree too (from a private kennel). How would you introduce a cat to him when he comes home?

P.S. I hate being a 'nobody'!(see avatar) Sniff!

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
ooo i forgot to mention i have 3 cats also..lol..and i was a bit weary about there first meet..lol..
how i done it i picked the cat i can trust the most ie:the doppy one that loves ruff and tumble..lol..she lets the kids carry her and everything she is so soft anyway..lol..
i sat tigger on my knee my hubby has rosze on the lead and yes she spots the cat straight away makes a run for her tail wagging..lol..all she done was sniff lick and bark at her if she was getting a bit rough hubby pulled her back and said nice ..then we put the cat on floor again keeping rosze on lead if rosze barked we shouted no and then calmly said be nice...eventually her attention went elsewere so we let her off the lead cat came back in room rosze ran up to her again sniffing and licking her all over and since then she has been great with them yes she does run after them like she does as if she chasing brandy but we shout no and be nice like i said we are 1 week into her living here and she has calmed down with the cats (maybe because they have gave her a few good slaps..lol)...
or you could put your cat in a cat box for extra safety but again keep your new dog on lead so you can pull him away make sure there is space were you cat can run if they want to get away from the new dog..lol..

hopefully all should go well :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, sounds like the first encounter could be quite scary. My cat is a big softy but I think he might feel his precious territory is being invaded and thus go on the defensive!! That's what worries me...but I guess they eventually get to tolerate e.o.?

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
oh yeah they will get used to sharing living space..lol..like i said rosze knows which cat she can sorta play with and which one she cant..lol.ie: she has had loads of slaps from our elder cat sooty so she knows she will not tolerate her puppyiness..lol..also i think its good she can watch how our other 2 dogs are as they complety ignore the cats unless they are sleeping with them..lol..so one day rosze will ignore them well ok im praying she will..lol...
just a lil advice if your cat does scratch your new dog make sure you clean the wound if it draws blood,, and watch the dogs eyes as it is mainly the face the cat will scratch :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Even if the dog has been used to cats previously, they will most likely find any new cat fair game :D at least initially.
I would make sure that the cat has an escape route away from the dog. I have a stairgate that the cat can get through and will not be followed. Also beware of the dogs eyes, cat claws can do serious damage to a dogs eyes.
HTH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts