Labradors Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about doing a big monthly shop out of OH wages :wink: and then topping up during the month out of my allowance ........

what im trying to find out is whether anyone on here shops monthly and how you find it ? and also do you think it works out cheaper i.e leavin more money during the month ?
I dont have a huge freezer so not sure if that would limit me badly .... and what sort of items do you just get weekly? i thought bread, milk, things like that ?

thanks for any help its pay day on friday and need to try and get sorted LOL :D

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
I never shop monthly, I grab all the meat bargins in Asda everytime I go (huge double doored fridge/freezer here) then I pop in and stock up as and when needed of veg, household cleaning stuff etc.

I find it cheaper that way as you are getting bargins :D

?

·
0 Posts
Gosh Shopping Monthly 8O ....I can't even be organised enough for a weekly shop.

I can only think of one big draw back....Where on earth would you put it all??? I fill my cupboards and fridge on a Monday...and by Thursday it's empty (oh the joys of Teenagers :roll: ) so I have to stock up again...If I did it monthly I'd need another bigger kitchen to store it all in.

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
I've tried it, but I always find that when I go once a week for the fresh stuff, I still end up spending a fortune anyway, so in the long run I think it costs me more!

I find the best way is to do a main shop fortnightly and get the fresh things and bread/milk etc from a small local shop, that way I don't have the opportunity to buy things just because I see them.

Hope this helps

Vicki

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
a monthly shop!!! wow.... we couldn't put it all away anywhere and there are only 2 of us! We do go to Cost co about once a month and buy things like Salmon - cut up and put in freezer, mayo, wine etc but still go to tesco once every 8-10 days or so, topping up on fresh stuff every couple of days.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
We shop monthly.
But we need to pick up bread every few days, and fruit/veg/cheese/milk every 10-14 days...
We do a monthly shop because we're both paid monthly and it's faaaaar easier to go do one big shop on payday and just spend 5 quid on potatoes milk and bread at the end of the month, than it is to find 50 quid for groceries in the last week before payday.

You do need a big freezer though, if you're going to buy in bulk as we do when we shop monthly, where would you put all that meat and frozen veg? EG we live off frozen veggies mostly for dinners, broccoli peas corn and carrots all frozen, otherwise we'd probably have to shop weekly coz vegetables and fruit just does not last in the UK, the shelf life of veggies here is terrible.

But we have a huge grocery cupboard, a big fridge and freezer (wish I had a chest freezer, but no room in this house), and there is just two of us.

Ness

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im thinking if i could find room in the freezer its a stand up one with 6 drawers i could get my meat ie. 4 chickens 3 mince etc enough for the main meals ! big bags of pasta+rice and lots of frozen veggies etc and bulk loo rolls . it would make it cheaper to just buy bits during the week!

I live in a village so is easy just to stick to bread and milk and altho slightly overpriced its alot cheaper than nipping to tesco for bread and milk and then "ooo that looks nice " or " oo ill just try one of those etc" ..

maybe i could try the fortnightly thing ! .. hmmm the joys of being a housewife ! LOL :roll:

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
i couldnt shop monthly either have huge freezer but there is 7 of us!!!!!!
id need one of those 18 wheeler freezing lorries if i shopped monthly :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
We also shop monthly! and i think its much cheaper as once we have all the food in - we only need to go again for fresh, fruit veg bread etc... mind you there is only two of us but we do eat fresh meat which we buy and freeze and none of those boxed ready meal thihngs - we have a fridge freezer combo thing, with 3 bigish draws and i usually am just able to fit everying in after each shop

·
Registered
246 Posts
how many people do you need to feed?

We shop monthly for 2 adults and two kids. and i too dont have a large freezer (3 drawers)

my freezer is organised as

drawer 1 : meat
drawer 2: bread and rolls
drawer 3: veg, leftovers, assorted "stuff"

I try to roughly plan out what i will be cooking, e.g. i buy the large packs of mince, split them in two and use one for lasagne, one for chilli, one for spag bol, one for cottage pie etc. We eat lots of chicken here too so i stock the freezer with about 3 large bags of chicken breast fillets. I use them for currys, fajitas, pies, casserole, chinese... you get the picture. There isnt room for me to buy big joints of meat to make sunday lunches (hey with two kids isnt that what granny is for ? :wink: ), and there isnt room for lots of ice-creams or frozen deserts.

i then buy lots of things to make cheap, quick, healthy and tasty meals. lots of sauces for the chicken, spice rack is always full, baking stuff to make pastry (dont have room in the freezer for the frozen stuff or room to store shop bought pies), tins and jars, packets etc. I buy the extra large packs of cheese and margarine to last the month. stock up the fridge with longer lasting meat items like gammon, bacon and ham joints. Cupboards are full of biccys and baby items. Remember to order all the household stuff too - toilet roll, shampoo, bleach etc.

Each week we spend probably £10 on lots of fresh veg, bread, eggs, sliced ham etc (the stuff that goes off quickly and gets used quickly).

So monthly bill = £121 (last month from tesco)

+ another £40 for everyday items.

grand total: £161 last months shopping, which for 2 adults, 2 kids (one in nappies part time and one in nappies full time, baby has a dairy milk protein allergy so needs special diet which costs us a fortune for all the substitutions i have to buy) isnt really that bad at all!

I used to shop weekly and easily spent £100+ a week on shopping, now by being careful and relatively organised things are much easier on our pockets!

sally

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sally thats brilliant !

I would be shopping for 5 people me OH and 13,9 and 2 yr olds ! he is still in nappies also ....

When i do a weekly i normally write down what im planning on making a usual week is .... roast, fajitas, chips and somthing , spag bol, curry, pizza things like that and then i shop accordingly which usually is around £75.00 a week ! and then i still need to shop for milk bread in between!

What sort of things do you buy to make the cheap easy meals ? id love some more insperation as im getting bored with what were having lol

I did a guess shop on tesco last night ,... meats washing powders nappies dry foods (pasta etc) for the month and it came to £102.00 which would mean i would still need to buy biccies, sarnie stuff, crisps and fresh fruit and veg ...

any help would be great as it sounds like youve got things off to a tea!

xx thanks Kirsty xx

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
We do a monthly shop - which is normally about 50quid - jars and loo rolls & that kind of stuff.

Then we just buy the meat, veg, milk & bread when we need it.

Meat I buy on the day when i decide what im having from the butchers, same goes for the veg.

We have a coop opposite our house so its no problem to just pop in last thing at night and grab a reduced bargin, or 2.

·
Registered
246 Posts
cheap meals:

Pork mince - v cheap, and makes lovely meals with chinese sauces (chilli and ginger and plum and oyster spring to mind!)

beef mince (the big fresh packs - not frozen) which i split into two to do two meals. that makes - chilli, lasagne, spag bol, cottage pie, minced beef and onion pie, spag and meatballs, homemade beefburgers. tacos etc etc

chicken fillets - the easy option for us. Add curry, chinese, mexican sauces and serve lol. or chop and fry for fajitas, coated and fried for a fattening "southern fried" style meal. one portion chopped into lots of little bits and mixed into homemade egg fried rice will feed the family when things are running low and were skint!

Fish fillets - usually bought from the fresh fish counter on one of my "extras" visits for bread if there is a special offer on.i'll cook a "normal" meal with them and Whatever is left over gets chucked into a casserole dish, a tin of campbells mushroom soup poured over, handfull of frozen peas and carrots, mashed pots on the top and some grated cheese. Then under the grill til cheese has browned and you have a v quick and cheap "captains pie".

Corned beef ash (yorkshire version lol). Bit like a stew/thick soup lol. ! tin of corned beef, stock cube, lots of potatoes and whatever other veg you have knocking around like carrots and peas (that half tin of baked beans or stick of celery etc - just chuck it in!), water and cook on the hob until the potatoes have gone mushy! the potatoes thicken it naturally, just add some gravy granuels at the end and hey presto a v tasty meal on a budget!

Cheese and Bacon stuffed jacket potatoes and salad

chilli pasta bake (leftover chilli and cooked pasta fusili mixed together, add a bit of chopped tomatoes and plenty of grated cheese on top and you have another meal on a budget).

i add lots and lots of veg to things to bulk them out and fill people up as we are always shopping on a budget! lol But its always important to make things look and taste great! especially when the kids are involved!

i make my own pasta and chilli sauces as it works out sooo much cheaper than buying ready made sauces (healthier and tastes nicer too lol).

Sometimes it can be a bit of a pain because i dont normally have anything in that i can just pull out of the freezer - bang in the oven and serve. we dont have ready meals and pizza is a once a month treat from the asda counter so i still have to cook it lol. But it is worth it and its saved us so much money just by ordering things carefully. We buy the bags of pasta £3 for 3kg i think!, and the same with rice - i buy the larger sacks of rice £7 ish i think and they last about 2 months (we eat alot of rice lol). Toilet roll and nappies in bulk and all those other household items. It pays to work out how much washing powder, bleach etc you will need and buy the best value brands you can!

Good luck! its worth it!

sally x

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
I spend way too much on food shopping. I do it weekly, online, with Tescos. Every week it seems to go up and I have been cutting back on the treats and luxuries too! I have found that the fruit and veg isnt lasting long at all from there at all - a couple of days at the most. So a lot is getting thrown which is really annoying as I dont want to keep buying everyday! (and you know what its like when you pop to the shop for one thing - you end up with a bag full!) and its such a waste!

·
Registered
246 Posts
just done my monthly shop! and the grand total before all the BOGOFF etc discounts was £129.63, i then got an online discount voucher which took another £15 off, and i think by the time the multibuy discounts are taken off when its delivered, the total this month will be under £100! YAY!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
woohoo check you out ..... well ! i have a confession! i didnt do the monthl shop i was going to but then my freezer decided to play up so had to throw everything away and now i dont really trust it ... its all frozen up again now so didnt do a monthly but next month i plan to sooooooo watch this space !

well done You ! my shopping each week is around £70 so great going ill have to come chat with you on what your secret is ! hehehe

·
Registered
84 Posts
just a point on the fruit, veg and salad stuff going off too quickly. This was the bane of my life for months. I was in Asda/Tescos/Morrisons every couple of days just getting them so that they wouldn't go off while waiting to be used.

I've started buying these items from M&S. Yes they are a bit more expensive but they last longer, so i'm actually saving money in the long run.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts