Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems a little over-reactive and I'm sure it's 'perfectly normal', but I'd like to understand why my nearly 10 week old puppy came to us from the breeder, happy to go to the toilet in the garden and two days ago - for no explicable reason - changed her mind! I'll take her out after food, play, etc etc every hour or so and, whilst she was happy to 'go' (and to be rewarded and fussed when she was 'successful'), she now turns tail, looks at me at the back door with her head on one side, runs in and IMMEDIOATELY does 'it' in the house !

I'm an avid fan of The Dog Whisperer and various puppy training books, but I don't know what I can do to help her to realise she needs to go on the lawn (especially considering she was doing it so well for her first week with us)??? :? Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Hmm, not sure. Has it been raining and the grass is wet? Maybe she's not liking a different texture to what she's used to??

What does she do when she's out? Is she more interested in exploring and is perhaps forgetting to pee?

I've only had one pup to go on, so I'm not much help really, but this is what I did.

I took her in the garden on a lead to the spot where I wanted her to toilet. My cue word was 'busy busy.' Every time she got distracted and wanted to go exploring, I'd put her back to the pee spot. I didn't give up until she'd peed. This might take 10 mins sometimes until she 'got it'. If she went back inside and peed immediately (which did happen sometimes), I'd pick her up mid-pee and race outside with her.

She'll get there, she's still very little and just hasn't quite got the hang of the rules yet.

What are you cleaning up accidents with? It might be that she's confused about where to go because she can smell her urine inside? Outside, it might help to keep encouraging her to pee on a particular patch of grass, so that her scent builds up there.

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
The easy answer is to shut the door so she can't run back inside.

But you need to stay outside with her until she pees and then tell her how wonderful she is.

Just a minor hiccup I would say.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the advice. It's a bit hit and miss, more hit than miss now!!!! She seems to be happy going outside when she's with my partner and my daughter! They're both teachers so it must be that 'authoritative energy' thing!

G

·
Do you always stand out there with her, as most young pups don't like going out there on their own? Also could anything have happened to have scared her out there? I know my own pup got scared by the dog next door barking and kept trying to run back indoor for a couple of days but lots of gentle encouragement and loads of "That's just the silly old dog next door" < in a Jolly Hockey Stick way > got her over her concern.

Glad to hear you are getting somewhere now and hopefully she will carry on improving.

I wouldn't take too much of notice of CM's methods though, as at best he is working from a very outdated theory and at worse I have seen dogs completely c*cked up by his sort of advise/methods.

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Despite taking Luna out regularly for toileting she went through phases inbetween of asking to go out and phases of just going wherever and whenever! For a while she was very unpredictable. You're doing the right thing so just keep going and shut the door as ettinsmoor says!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts