Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shelby's having her hips & elbows xrayed today.
She couldn't understand why she didn't get any breakfast while Barney had & then didn't want to go to the cage at the vets so I had to go inside with her and then she was fine.
Our vet (she's orthopaedist) promised me to give me a call straight after xrays so I'll know the results before they come from BVA.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Are you scoring them for breeding, or does she have a problem in both ends? Poor girl if so!!! If for breeding, yoour vet can give you a vague idea of whether they are 'Ok' or 'rubbish', but only the BVA, in 6 - 8 weeks, will be able to give you the true score picture so don't go *too* much on what your vet says beyond a 'nod' or a 'sad shake'.....

Good luck
Di

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Diana said:
Are you scoring them for breeding, or does she have a problem in both ends? Poor girl if so!!! If for breeding, yoour vet can give you a vague idea of whether they are 'Ok' or 'rubbish', but only the BVA, in 6 - 8 weeks, will be able to give you the true score picture so don't go *too* much on what your vet says beyond a 'nod' or a 'sad shake'.....

Good luck
Di
Thanks God she hasn't got any visible problems with her legs; we're scoring her joints for potential breeding. I'm aware that my vets opinion doesn't mean much & that's BVA's role to score - but my vet can tell what she thinks about her joints & then we'll be waiting for oficial scoring :)
Thank you :)

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, we are back from the vets - according to our vets she's healthy; now we have to wait for scores.
She's a bit "whinny" but that#s normal after GA.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Fingers crossed...

We were told Pippa's hips/elbows were very deep and should have very good scores.

We got 0/0 elbows and 4/4 hips

Results took ages to come though!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pipmont great scores - I hope Shelby's will be as good as Pippa's :)
I was told that we'll be waiting 6-8 weeks for the results - how long were you waiting?

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
It depends on the number of plates submitted, and when the panel are next sitting, but it's usually 6-8 weeks, as has been said.

Good luck for nice low scores, I've got two to do this year, I doubt Zasa will be as low as her mum but as long as they're low and even I don't mind!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Its not a black and white thing 'scoring' but to give you an idea... the worst possible score for each hip is 53. The best is 0. So the best possible total is '0'. The worst is 106.

The breed average for a total of BOTH hips added together sits at about 15.

Thats the bare facts of the case. Looking behind a dog to see its sibling, parents and grandparents scores can also play a factor in deciding on the most complicated hip score results back such as 'higher than you wanted'. BUT... very roughly...

Good a TOTAL for both hips of 0 - 12 'good'.
13 - 20 'average'. '
20+' *probably* don't go there.
30+ Definately don't go there.

But there *is* more to it than that in making a decision on a score as regards going ahead to breed. Such as.... lets say a dog got a TOTAL score of 15... so 'alright', not 'brilliant' but 'alright'.

If it was 7:8 (so nice and even), I'd be happy enough.
If it was 14:1 (so very very uneven), i'd be gutted and not breed from the dog.

Di

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I think it depends on your viewpoint and your own experiences, when I got my first Labrador, which wasn't that long ago, everyone was saying *around the BMS* was fine, so a few points above was perfectly acceptable. Yet now, only a few years later, it seems like if your scores come back over the BMS it's a terrible disappointment. Indie and Tau are from the same bitch, Indie's hip score is 3/3 and Tau's is 0/0, yet their dam has a 10/9 score. I never bred from Indie as her elbow grade came back as a 2, but Tau was another 0 thankfully. It's also worth remembering that the BMS has lowered over the years, so what might look like a bit of a higher hip score, might have only been a couple of points off the BMS back then.

I wouldn't mind anything around the BMS and even, we'll just have to wait and see. That's 9 for flatcoats, and 14 for Labs currently! There aren't many flatcoat people who do elbow grading at the moment.

I think the KC are/have revised their advice re elbow grades, and it's now only recommended to breed from a 0, not a 1 I think, although I could be wrong about that. It still doesn't stop people though, it is heart breaking to get a [email protected] score back, it's a bit of a double edged sword, at least people have gone to the effort to find out the status of the hips/elbows, but then some people still completely ignore higher results, there's plenty when you read through the BMS willing to breed from higher scores/grades.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Very pleased for You and Shelby :D

"Shelby Cobra" has a fabulous black body and now You have the proof that she has a classy chassis!!! :D ("Mr Mibec" will understand :wink: )

Chel and Dilys xxx

1 - 20 of 20 Posts