Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any product that helps slow down the amount of a lab's shedding? I've seen products at the pet store that are supposed to help, but have been reluctant to try. I have two labs at home and the amount of hair that is left everywhere is unbelievable. I vacuumn at least once a day -- would do it more if I had the time. Aside from brushing them constantly (which i already do), anybody have any ideas?

thanks much!

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
wow i didnt know there was a product that slowed down the shedding???

i would just think you let them shedd after all if there getting rid of there winter coat they need to shed or the summer would be really bad for them they would be tooo hot i know how you feel on the fur though as i have 2 labs also and sometimes it annoys me.. you can make gloves with all the fur i collect..lol...but i just keep brushing and hoovering then they quite happily shake and loads more lovely fur all over my clean laminate wood flooring nice :):):)..lol..

·
Administrator
21,292 Posts
The joys of Labradors I'm afraid. Remember, the faster they moult the sooner it's over! All that winter coat has got to come out sooner or later.

Regards, John

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
pity there isnt a demand for lab fur..lol..we could all bag it all and send it off cheap and easy..lol...

catwalk and here comes the LAB SCARF with matching gloves...lol..

·
Administrator
21,292 Posts
I once knew a woman who was in a syndicate saving fur from Kerry Blues to spin into wool! She brought a sweater over one night for me to see!! Also a number of people use the fur from Soft Coated Wheaten terriers! I think Labradors coat is a little short for that though!

Regards, John

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
lol..but you could try...lol..maybe knit them there winter coat with it that way maybe they will not need shed no more..lol..ok im living in a dream world but its a nice fur free dream..LOL.. :lol: :lol:

either that or use the fur to pad out hamster and gerbil cages?? ok i really must go see my doctor im going crazy now..lol..

·
Registered
244 Posts
JohnW said:
I think Labradors coat is a little short for that though!
Never fear, you can mix it with other types of fur and spin it to make the yarn (the book I linked to tells you how). There, bet you're all going to be doing it now.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi everyone...
Coat shedding is a great concern...But every time i hug frodo i have his hair on my dress :? is this normal.....????

Vets out here feel its fine :oops: but it worries me immensely.... does anyone know of any holistic remedy....

Thanks
Vidhya N Frodo

P.s : if only lab coat was considered as precious as shatoosh :razz:

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hi swilly...Thanks for that great link :D ...

Happy Knitting...I'm typing with knitting needles :razz:

Vidhya + Frodo

·
Administrator
21,292 Posts
Hi Vidhya.
There is an old theory that dogs born out of their natural season never stop shedding.
If you think about the wild, nature arranges babies to be born at the most opportune time. Natural selection of the fittest would mean that puppies born in the spring, when food is at it's easiest to find would do the best. Born at this time it would naturally shed it's puppy coat at the correct time for growing it's winter coat ready for the onset of the colder days.

Now think about the domestic dog. Puppies are being born somewhere 12 months of the year. More often than not the puppy coat is ready to let go before a normal moulting season! Add to that the fact that with modern heating dogs go from summer temperatures indoors to winter temperatures out doors several times a day!!! It's no wonder the poor dog's body clock runs wrong!

I've had puppies at all months of the year and normally they do get their act together sooner of later but it can take a couple of moulting seasons for them to adjust.

Regards, John

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
I had a German Shepherd before Ben, she used to shed loads of fur. At one point I thought I would come down one morning and find her bold! :lol: I expect Ben will be just as bad ,but I am used to walking around covered in dog hairs, I can't seem to get them off! :oops: :lol:

I hope the lady that showed you that jumper John didn't give it to you to wear!!! :lol:

Cristina

·
Administrator
21,292 Posts
I must admit there are times when I’ve considered smearing my Labs in Bostik and peeling the whole lot off in one go when they've finished! It would be so much easier. :evil:

Regards, John

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hello John....

Thanks a lot...your information was very informative.... i completley agree and not to mention that i live in a tropical country and yes the summer is setting in... temps touching 35C...it is hot and poor labbies have to cope with this heat....I though ensure that air conditioner is on but when i take him out for walk ...mother nature is beyond my control....:)

But john is it healthy for me to be covered with his hair after a hug,....My main fear is i hope he does not lack any nutrients.... he'z on royal cannin maxi junior + milk....Psst: he finds his food boring :?

Hi cristina.... Does ben shed a lot... Btw loved his picture and love his coat ... i always thought the light coloured labs have a dull coat but ben proved it wrong... which shampoo do you use on him :wink:

Have a lovely eveing
Vidhya + Frodo

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hi Vidhya,

I have to say I think that Ben has had 2 baths since we got him and he is now nearly 8 mths.One of them was because he desided to dig in the borders when it was wet and ended up filthy! He has had a few dips in the sea though :D I normally use a normal dog medicated shampoo, but I have a friend how is a dog groomer and she gave ben some Aromatherapy Dog Shampoo/conditioner for christmas. I have used it once and it stinks of honeysuckle, Haven't really noticed any difference but I don't tell her that as she swears by it, I just grint my teeth and smile :oops: :lol: :lol:

Cristina

·
Administrator
21,292 Posts
I doubt you have a problem Vidhya, you are feeding a good quality food. Cow’s milk might be more of a problem because it is totally different make up to a bitch's milk. So saying, my dogs always get a little. Goat or Sheep's milk is better. A friend of mine always rears her puppies on Sheep’s milk but it's not easy for everyone to obtain.

With the temperature where you are I'm not surprised he's chucking his coat out! So would I :D

I almost never bath my dogs. Usually I give them one towards the end of the moult to help loosed the last of the coat. They do swim quite a bit though and if the water is a bit muddy or if the weather is particularly hot I'll give a bath in plain water. This avoids washing the natural oils out of the coat. As to shampoos if I use one then it is usually something like Johnson's Dog Shampoo. Nothing very exotic! Don’t use human shampoo's they can cause skin problems. (Although I do know plenty of people who do use them with no problems.

Sea can be a problem Cristina. Depending on what the beach is like, fine sand can get washed into the coat and abrade the skin which can then let infections in. Not a big problem as a rule but something to watch out for. :)

Regards, John

1 - 20 of 30 Posts