Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my first post.... I have a 16 month yellow Labrador and he is constantly sheading I didn't realise how hairy he'd be I use the furminator but it helps but there's is millions of hairs still coming away that it doesn't catch. Can anyone recommend brush or comb to use. Thanks

·
Administrator
20,704 Posts
Labradors only shed twice a year. The spring moult starts on the first of January and finishes on the 30th June, and the autumn moult starts on the 1st July and finishes on the 31st December.

But seriously so many things can affect the moult period. Central heating certainly does not help. But even when the pup is born can affect things. Think about this. In the wild the pups would normally be born in the spring, as with other animals. The body clock then, combined with the weather would determine when the pup would shed it's puppy coat and grow it's first adult coat, tying it in nicely with the autumn moult. So things would all be nicely set into a natural rhythm. But domestication, plenty of food always available has meant bitches sexual cycle is no longer determined according to the weather seasons so puppies can be born at any time during the year, so the natural moulting rhythm is lost. Depending on when the pup was born dogs usually start to get into the natural rhythm after a moult cycle or two.

Add to this, people disturb the hormones, (particularly in the case of bitches) by neutering, which again can affect coat. Although I have to say that in your case, having a dog rather than a bitch, the effects are not to pronounced.

But as to your question. I have to say I hate things such as furminator's finding that they simply cut the coat. You can use them 4 times a day from now till doomsday and you will continue to remove coat until the dog is bald! I much prefer a comb and hound glove. This is the glove I use. Just £2.99 from EBay but it does the job! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PET-GROOMING-GLOVE-DESHEDDING-BRUSH-FUR-REMOVER-MITT-FOR-DOG-CAT-RIGHT-HAND/173242935725?epid=22017343307&hash=item28561569ad:g:Kr0AAOSwcxVavSr9

John :)

·
Premium Member
8,833 Posts
I’m not a fan of the furminator either. If you’re finding it a major issue it might be worth mentioning to your vet, they may want to look at abnormal hormone levels, like thyroid.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My yellow lad casts a lot too. I use a zoom groom on him. Doesn't prevent him from casting, but it helps keep on top of the hoovering lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts