Labradors Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 yr old black bitch has always been deaf if it suits her. If she sees a dog even as a speck in the distance she will hurtle off ignoring me totally. Her recall is fine as long as there are no emergency sniffs or other dogs! She is a calm and self reassured, so much so she is quite happy if i change direction or walk away out of view. Smelly treats or favorite squeaky toy every time she returns nicely (we trained this way since she was little) have no effect as a reward as when she meets a dog as she couldn't give a tinkers about a reward on return, she just wants to be with the dog. High pitched excited recall voices, shouting, or trying to stop her before she gets going is totally hopeless. We tend to keep her on a long line if we know there are dogs about but sometimes like today a dog appeared suddenly and off she went as she saw the dog before we did. We attended training classes where she was brilliant, 'leave it' command is spot on until we see a dog and we have tried using the long lead to practise recalls in other dogs company. Unfortunately some owners call their dogs back and keep on walking and as their dogs go back to their owners she will too and if they keep walking she will just go with them (which happened today and my husband had to do half a marathon to catch up with a woman and her cocker who was walking off with our dog!) A dog was stolen/went missing from this area a few months ago whilst on a walk so I am worried. I don't want to keep her on the lead all the time because I really want her to enjoy playing with other dogs as she loves it so much and it is normal for her to want to do so but i don't want to lose her I just wish she would say hello then come back! If any body has any ideas I would be really grateful please?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts