Labradors Forums banner

Severe OCD in elbows

872 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Pam28 
#1 ·
Due to unforeseen circumstances Barney had xrays today which show his OCD elbows have severe degeneration :cry: :cry:

I need advice on what type of glucosamine/chondroitin people use, and what sort of dose?

He has been on regular tramadol but the vet changed him to Metacam to try. He had an accident yesterday and he is very sore and limping at present.....but I am more concerned about his long term health. Is metacam better than tramadol, apart from glucosamine/chrondoitin are there any other supplements or things I can be doing to help him. He is 9years old, and I will be asking the vet if hydrotherapy is a good idea and if they can refer him.

Any advice welcome

Pam

#2 ·
Looked into this because vet thought Luna was showing slight signs of in xray taken of right elbow.

She began taking Glyco-flex 3 supplements ASAP and also wears a bioflow magnetic collar. She hasn't limped since April and 2 vets have recently said that all looks well and external examinations show no signs of pain or inflammation so she's not on any pain/anti-inflam meds.

I've heard people recommend Cartophen injections as a good longer term painkiller. I'm sure others will be along to help soon.

I'd say that hydrotherapy should be helpful. We ended up doing some diy hydro due to lack of facilities in Belgium and Luna loved it!

#3 ·
Hi Pam

Sorry to hear about Barney's OCD.

Mac was diagnosed at 6 months old with bilateral elbow dysplasia (OCD and FCP). He had extensive surgery for it.

Mac only has Metacam if he really over does it and starts limping. Otherwise we keep his weight down, don't allow any sudden twisting stops when chasing balls, do hydrotherapy (initially professional canine hydrotherapy) and now DIY in rivers. As for supplements we use Synflex liquid.

The orthopaedic surgeon who operated on Mac was very negative about Mac's long term prognosis and said we would never have walking holidays with him. I am delighted to say that Mac climbed Snowdon in May of this year. It took us 5 hours in total (due to my slow efforts) and Mac made it up and down without a hint of a limp.

Rest and Metacam is good for any flare ups but watching the twisting, plenty of swimming and keeping them lean seems to be the way to go.

Hope Barney gets better soon and let me know if I can give you any further info/advice re:OCD.

Juliet and Mac

#4 ·
Sorry to hear this. My old boy Tarka had rimadyl but that was years ago, and I know now that many people don't think long term rimadyl is a good idea. I also bought human supplements on the internet, and still do for my current doggy boys

Best of luck and I hope he is more comfy soon

Katy

#5 ·
cant offer any advise on supplements. Tiggy is on 'Stride' since her surgery for bilateral fcp in elbows.

But cant recommend hydrotherapy enough - Tig doesnt really relish her swimming sessions, but is quite happy with the water treadmill, and it has really helped improve her walking and muscle tone in her legs and shoulders. Admittedly I'm not sure how long to continue with hydro (her surgery was in June) but can see it going on indefinitely.

ps supplement was 20ml per day for 1 month and now 10ml per day indefinitely.

#6 ·
Thanks for your replies everyone.

I am definitely going to look into hydrotherapy we did it a few years ago and he definitely benefitted from it. I will speak to vet about long term pain relief and also if operation is indicated, and seek supplements. - but where from???

Thank you

Pam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.