Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes, when we're out for a walk, Jake will stop to sniff at a Really Interesting Smell. He won't leave it when he's called - actually he won't leave it until we drag him away by his collar. (I suspect the source of the smell may be a bitch in heat or something similarly fascinating.) When he's that absorbed he barely acknowledges the fact we're calling him with a slight twitch of his tail. This only happens occasionally - otherwise he's a fairly obedient sort of chap who does as he's told most of the time.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how we deal with this problem without jumping up and down in frustration and getting cross with Jake?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Jakes_Pet,

Our lab Bradley sometimes does this, and like you say, no matter how much persuasion or coaxing, he refuses to budge until you physically move him! We thought he was sniffing at worms, as he tends to do this more so if the grass is wet. Seeing as your lab is 9 years old, i guess he's pretty strong for you to keep moving him when this happens, have you tried coaxing him with treats when this happens?

Maybe if you were to have something even tastier at hand, he might be tempted to leave what he is doing, and see what you have instead. How is he in general about sniffing other things and eating as he goes along? Does he tend to grab at most things like alot of labs do?

Sorry i can't be more helpful, we are just learning at the moment, Brad's only 4 months old so we have a long way to go yet! lol. :D :D

I hope you find a solution soon, perhaps someone else will be able to give you a few more ideas...

Good luck :wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bradleys Mum! The treats are a nice idea, but they're a bit counter-productive with Jake. He can smell I've got treats on me the instant we step outside and I then have to shuffle along like a Japanese geisha, with the dog reversing in front of me with his nose firmly clamped to the pocket where the treats are! Now I only use treats for indoor training.

I wish we could allow Jake to take all the time he wants, but it's not possible: he does get lovely long ambly walks when there's no need to hurry, but my husband and I both work from home and we and Jake walk before work in the morning and again at lunchtime, so we need to keep to a strict timetable - we also view the walks as heart-attack-prevention for us (and Jake!), so we like to walk briskly. We don't mind Jake stopping to sniff something for a moment or two, but quarter of an hour is pushing it!

Eating stuff along the way... occasionally he eats grass and very, very occasionally he'll eat dog poo (eeurgh!) if I don't stop him fast enough. But otherwise, no.

Another Lab owner once mentioned to me that total absorption in Seriously Interesting Smells are a Lab trait - I wonder if it's peculiar to Labs? I've had other dogs but don't remember any of them doing this.

If you succeed in training Bradley to leave a SIS when you call him I'll be very interested to know!

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Hi Jakes_Pet,

Another Lab owner once mentioned to me that total absorption in Seriously Interesting Smells are a Lab trait - I wonder if it's peculiar to Labs? I've had other dogs but don't remember any of them doing this.

If you succeed in training Bradley to leave a SIS when you call him I'll be very interested to know!
I definately think it's a lab thing -yes. :roll: :roll:

I hope someone can help you on this forum, and you'll soon be able to get Jake away from his sniffing sessions!

Good luck,

I'll let you know if i come up with anything in the meantime :)

Bradleysmum :wink:

·
Registered
76 Posts
My last lab used to do this.

She was very well trained but on occassions she would exibit this behaviour. As you say, short of dragging her away or walking sufficiently far away from her (she was trained to go everywhere off the lead) she wouldn't be distracted by tyhe usual commands and encouragement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts