Labradors Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my cats to the vets yesterday and while I was there I mentioned about protection against ticks for my dogs. I currently use advocate spot on against fleas and worms at the moment but after all the news about the illness that ticks can cause I checked the advocate and realised it didn't cover for this. The vet has recommended taking them off advocate and using a seresto collar and tablets for the worms. She wouldn't give me the advocate that's for ticks as its toxic to cats!. Anyway she told me that the collar lasts against fleas and ticks for 8mths! Sounds too good to be true! Just wondering if anyone has ever used one and what they think and also if not what treatments you all use to combat fleas,ticks and worms.

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
Yes we have used Soresto collars for sometime now.Our old lab had several in her last years of life.Martha is on her second one.They do everything they say.Have never seen a flea or a tick.They last about 8 months,and they can go in water with it.We had trouble with Advocate with Martha,she would scratch for England.Absolutely fine with Soresto collar.Can't praise the collar highly enough.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for replying it's nice to hear from people who have used the product especially when there dogs are in the water lots too. Was just a little sceptical as it was a collar and works out much cheaper than the spot on treatments. Can I ask do you buy yours from your vets or online? I only ask as have seen it much cheaper online.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have used Seresto too for like 3 years now, living in Asturias (north of Spain).
We live in the countryside where there are lots of ticks and fleas, and I have never seen any on my dogs! I change it every 6 months because it loses effectiveness, and we go to the beach almost everyday. And I buy it online without problems!

·
Registered
34 Posts
these seresto collars look like a great idea, we used to get a flea collar for the cat, had no idea there was a bigger version for dogs and over 8 months the cost is very reasonable. we will certainly look into them when we get our pup in 4 weeks time. do most vets stock them?

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
Its a Bayer Soresto collar,you can buy from Vets,but of course they are more expensive.We got our Soresto for our old lab from Ebay.They come from abroad ,but they are cheaper,and are still Bayer,but foreign language.Martha our pup is in a pet club.,because she can't tolerate spot ons,we get the collar free.Hope this helps,but the collar does do what it says.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have just read some awful reviews on this collar.it may be worth doing some more research as even if you decide to use it, you would then be aware of the possible side effects as they appear to happen some months in so people are not associating it with the collar initially.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
I was talking to a vet recently whilst dog walking. She said that the sales of Seresto collars were mad at the moment but that prior to this not enough people used them to give enough data on side effects. She expected to start to see more information about dogs reactions to these collars as they become more popular.

The only positive thing I can see in a collar, is that at least you can take it off if there is a bad side effect, whereas with tablets there isn't much you can do if your dog reacts to the tablet and it is in their system for the next month or more !

I don't use any of the chemical treatments. My dogs have BNM every day from March to October. They spent a week at Easter running through forests and on the commons, where deer are very prevalent, and I didn't find a single tick on either of them! I do always hose their legs and undercarriage areas down after the walk though, so that may help to get rid of any unwanted visitors.

Chloe

·
Registered
34 Posts
i think when you are putting chemicals on an animal then sometimes you are going to get reactions, i have just googled spot-on and bob martin flea treatment and several posts with animals having reactions came up. i think its a case of try it and see. Chloe what is BNM?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was recommended that I use the Seresto collar and the advocate treatment together by my vet, 2 days after use she is panting and really stressed so i have taken the collar off her and will wash her over to get anything off her, but is there anything i can do if she has had too much at the same time? she will be straight down the vets tomorrow (Monday) morning.? is there any long term effects of double dosing?

·
Administrator
21,211 Posts
Both Advocate and Seresto have been known to have possible side effects, so why any vet would suggest using both at the same time I really dont know. The problem now is that you are not sure if it was which or both that your dog was susceptible to.

Do you have a problem, or was it just preventative measures? If preventative I never use anything unless I find I've got a problem, though many people use "Billy No Mates" as a herbal preventative. If you actually have a problem then one of those should do the trick without the other. But just as important is to treat the environment to prevent infestation. Fleas only spend a short time on the dog, the rest of the time in carpets and soft furnishings. There are many household sprays but one of the best, and least vile smelling is Acclaim. Spray it around EVERYWHERE where your dog has access.

·
Registered
2 Posts
we have been using Advocate for years with no harm and she has had no problems flea or side effects, its only since we were told too add the Serento collar and she has become visibly unwell? shaking lethargic and not eating or drinking. we took the collar off and bathed her paying particular attention to her neck and it has made a big difference but she is still not herself, i am more worried of long term effects of the double dose?

·
Administrator
21,211 Posts
i am more worried of long term effects of the double dose?
Of course, nobody can say for certain, but I doubt it. I would imagine the effects will gradually die away as the effects gradually leave her system..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts