Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might know, I recently homed Lucy from the Dogs Trust. Unfortunately, just after I got her I had a bout of the 'flu so she had a very unrealistic 10 days of me being around 24/7. I tried coming and going at random (for a few mins or up to 2 hours) and all seemed to be going well. But I've just had my first afternoon at work (I work p/t and this was 3 hours on her own) and have come home to find Lucy has ripped my wallpaper and urinated on the carpet.

I'd be delighted for any suggestions at all - but just so you know I have already been trying the following since I rehomed her:

- she is not allowed to follow me around my house
- she has the radio left on when I go out
- I put smelly clothes on the other side of the door
- I take her a walk before I leave her alone
- I leave her with her Kong and another interactive toy

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
It sounds like your doing everything right.
Have you seen the pic of my blinds after Diesel got hold of them?
We ended up locking him out of the front room. You might just have to ride it out.
I really don't know what to suggest. I just hope she settles down soon.
I hope someone will be able to help you soon

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
You have my sympathies; we went through a phase like that with Rosie. In fact, if I'm honest, :roll: we're still going through it a bit. With Rosie it's boredom and not anxiety - she's a young hyper dog and she gets bored easily.

What are you putting in the Kong? I know there are lots of types of kong but even though I found the best one was the hexagonal shaped ball, but when I tested Rosie with it with Winalot Shapes in I was pretty disappointed how long it lasted. She barely had it going ten minutes!
In the end I found that in addition to filling it, scraping Philadelphia Light or Peanut Butter (if you're feeling indulgent) into the cracks on the outside really extended the time she retained an interest with it. Also, if you buy the rolled up fish skins and break them in half (they break quite well under the head of a wooden spoon) they'll drop enough crumbs out through the hole as she rolls it about but take ages to break up and fall out completely. Because they stink like heck they'll keep her interested.
We only give her the Kong when we're going out; its not a toy she has available all the time. It quickly became something special, and I believe, she associates our going out with having a treat. If you can build up the good association with your leaving her, she'll get the idea eventually.

The other thing we did was accept that Rosie was going to unleash some frustration and it was inevitable, and so we protected what we'd rather she didn't turn her attention to by providing her with something we didn't value. A newspaper. An old cardboard box. So, you still have a mess to come back to but at least it's not your books, your carpet or your curtains!

The urinating thing; I really don't know what to suggest. Rosie only did it over two weeks. We got a dog-crate for a week and that stopped it in it's tracks.

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Something I always make the effort to do with Luna even if it makes me late for appointments!

I get everything ready to leave ie, coat on, shoes on, bags and keys by door or in car, long before I need to go out. I'll play or walk with Luna ensuring she has a wee within half hour of leaving. Will then sit down with or without a cup of tea, or with a book in front of TV (ensuring it has good channels on that Luna likes to watch! cos I leave it on) so that Luna settles down usually on the sofa next to me to sleep. Once she's been settled for a while I'll give her a kiss on the head, tell her to stay here and guard the house before leaving. Touch wood - no major damage yet!

If I have to leave her but she's not settled, I'll do the same but leave her with a kitchen roll stuffed with toilet rolls all smeared with paste/marmite and including the odd treat. I usually come back to find that has been destroyed and she's curled up on the sofa.

Hope you get things sorted for Lucy.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Jess is only 17 weeks and at 16 weeks decided to tear up my kitchen floor! She's done the scratching, digging at door etc way before this terrorist attack!

We're trying one of these DAP collars which supposedly releases the same pheromone as a mother so has calming effect in unsettling situations. It might work, it might not...I'm a bit of sceptic but if it means Jess is happier being left and doesn't destroy my house, I don't mind paying out! The vet nurse used one on her rescue jack russell who used to hate being left but is now able to with no problems.

It's early days to say if it's working so fingers crossed for the next few weeks!

PS - found DAP collars about £10 cheaper on tinternet than at vets.....in case you do decide to try one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts