Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.
I have a lovely old black lab called Willow who is 12 yrs 4mths old. She has progressive weakness in her back legs. I am under the p.d.s.a but I also when I can afford it visit the regular vet. I had pet insurance up to her being 10 years old but had to cancel because it became too expensive. In hindsight I should have switched insurers. I am not in good health myself and live alone with my daughter. My dog is on Meloxicam, Propalin for occasional urine leaks, seraquin, linseed oil, Pure C8 mct oil to manage the odd rare fit, and just started on Boswellia. Her back legs are getting weaker but is seems to be her left leg which is worse around the knee joint. My question is are the p.d.s.a any good? I can only get to see them if its an emergency and they usually post out medicines to me. I am unsure what to do because I don't want to put our beloved dog through any unnecessary procedures which may distress her. But I am willing to do so if it may help her. I find it very difficult to make these kinds of decisions as I suffer from depression and chronic pain and my daughter also has mental health issues. Please, can you offer advice as what you would do in this situation? I have a credit card which I would max out if needed but can't afford much more. Thankyou everyone.

·
Administrator
21,294 Posts
My question is are the p.d.s.a any good?
I cant answer that. All vets have undergone the same training, but as in all things, some are better than others.

Unfortunately we all tend to get weaker in our legs as we get older, I know I have! The easy answer is that the more you exercise the easier it is to keep going. But other things have a bearing. Arthritis for one. My Anna had lovely hips, as near perfect as could be, yet she was starting to breakdown with arthritis by 9 years old. Some dogs will start getting problems earlier than others. My Amy's hips were nowhere near as good as Anna, yet she did not appear to have any trouble with arthritis to her death at just short of 15 years old, so there is no accounting for who will get problems and who wont. (I know that my problems were caused by misspent youth, falling off of motorcycles too often. ;) )

I dont think throwing money at the problem is likely to help much. The supplements you are giving are probably as much as you can do. I would suggest a low daily dose of Metacam as an anti inflammatory, but I dont know if this might react with the supplements you are giving, you can only talk to your vet about that.

My only other suggestion is to let her decide on how far she walks. Some days she might only feel like "to the corner and back," some days she might feel like a little more. Really it's only about giving her something different to see. There was a seat outside some shops, only 10 doors from where I live. So I used to walk Amy to that in her latter days, just sit on the seat for a little while and let the world pass by. She was well known locally so people used to stop and make a fuss of her. It made her day! But if all Willow wants is a gentle plod around the garden, fine, let her decide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou for that lovely response. My girl also comes from hip scored parents and has had her hips and elbows xrayed before she had her one and only litter when 3. Her hips were fine, but one elbow had a lower score and thevet thought she may have previously injured it. Which was true. Thats why I'm thinking it may be her knee/elbow. You are probably right about the money thing, and it is so nice to hear that your old lab still had a quality of life with her short walks. Our dog is also a happy playful dog. I have noticed how some days she is more able to walk further than others and we should leave it up to willow how far she walks. Is the Meloxicam much different from Metacam? They sound nearly the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I never noticed Meloxicam. Yes, same horse, different stable so to speak.
Thankyou so much John. People like you who can reassure and offer advice are a Godsend to people like me as I also suffer with anxiety and tend to get easily upset when anything happens to my pets. I have always owned a dog and always been the same! xx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just remember, I'm not a vet, just somebody with too many miles on the clock. :)
:)It's the miles which make all the difference though John when it comes to good advice. Direct experience is much better than some shall I say novice vets sometimes. Don't worry she is still going to the vets, all my dogs have been well taken care of, spoilt to death more like:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts