Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help i have a 7 year old black lab she had her annal glands removed a year ago because of constant scooting we thought that was the end of the problem but no she still does it not all the time but it is still there her stools are not loose i would be gratfull for any advice thanks suzy

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Suzy
Sorry, can't help apart from to say I know your problem! I have a 21 month old yellow Lab who had her anal glands removed due to infections and constant scooting (the worst moment being when she took herself off across our friends living room carpet new years eve '03!). Despite the op and being wormed every three months she still has spells where she goes off scooting around. My vets couldn't come up with much apart from an injection to relieve any itching. It helped temporarily, but not long term. I look forward to reading any other posts on this as I'm at a loss too.
Clare

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sorry to bring this topic back up, but my Lab (anal glands removed and wormed every 3 months with Drontal) is off on another one of her scooting spells and I wondered if anyone had any ideas?
Clare

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi, sorry, I got no solutions for the scooting, but was talking to my vet about Poppy's anal glands a few weeks ago. She has to have them emptied every couple of months. She doesn't scoot but licks and licks when they need doing. I asked the vet why they kept filling up because I thought dogs mostly got them through not having enough roughage in their diet, but Poppy has loads. He said it was very common for labs to have this problem because they often have a layer of fat around the anus that stops the glands from being stimulated by the feaces and emptying themselves. The dogs themselves can be slim, but still have this ring of fat there.

Rosie

ps I know you can empty them yourself and the vet explained and showed me what to do. Next time they needed doing I armed myself with rubber gloves and had a go. I felt the glands ok and started to squeeze in the downward motion the vet described but nothing happened and I lost my bottle. I leave it to the vet now!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hellow clare sorry to hear your lab is scooting again you are not on your own with this problem my lab sally is 7 years old she was always scooting and always had to have her glands emted she had her glands removed a few years ago but you guessed right she is still scootting sally has a nasty skin allergy she has to much bactieria in her skin she has to take steriods for that 2 every other day she has been on them for some time now which isnt very good my vet thinks sallys scooting is part of her allergy do you think your lab has some sort of an allregy ask your vet in the men timeif i find an answer to our problem i will let you knowtake care speak soon suzy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts