Labradors Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10.30 am, the phone rang, it was a veterinary nurse – could we help with a lovely 8 year old yellow Lab that had been run over and had a very badly broken leg. They had answered an emergency call from a passer by and rushed out to the roadside to help him. Suffering as he was, he allowed them to tend to his wounds quickly before the journey back to the surgery. His tail wagged all the time and he kept licking the veterinary nurse who was cuddling him.

Fortunately he was microchipped, the owner was contacted, but said he couldn’t/wouldn’t pay for the operation and asked if they could put his dog to sleep. 8 years together, his dog was in need of help and he turned his back. Well, we were not prepared to do that, we don’t shy away from Labradors who are not perfect and need medical assistance, short or long term, and this beautiful lad was no exception.

A quick call to our Secretary and Chairman to verify, and of course the answer was yes. We agreed to fund the expensive surgery, the aftercare and of course any problems that would arise from the injury, for the rest of his life. He was duly signed over to us at LRSEC. Scooby underwent his operation the next day and it went very well. He had to have a couple of plates and some pins inserted to re-align the jigsaw of his bones. He proved to be a model patient, very calm and obliging. Everyone fell in love with him, gentle and kind, never once objecting to the pain and constant examinations injections etc.

He stayed with the vets for a few days to make sure everything was well and no infections set in. In the meantime the wheels started turning in earnest our end, to find him a suitable foster home. Unfortunately, the ones we earmarked for him already had our dogs in – back to the drawing board. Luck was on our side, a lady came forward who had already adopted three of our Labs in the past and was looking for her fourth after losing her last one. She was told all about Scooby and his rehabilitation, and immediately said she would have him.

Scooby was collected by Fiona and her husband and made comfortable in the back of the car and the 4 hour plus journey to his new home began. He is such a happy boy and settled very quickly, much loved by his new mum and all who come into contact with him.

We cannot thank the vets enough for not agreeing to put this dog to sleep and for contacting us, and of course for all their care and love, especially the orthopaedic surgeon who did such a fantastic job on his smashed leg.

Rescue is not always about rehoming a healthy dog, sometimes through no fault of their own, they need much more. We don’t usually sing our praises, but this one touched all our hearts, we hope it reaches yours as well.

Be happy young man, you will always have us in the background no matter what.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Great to hear that Scooby has made a full recovery and is now happily settled in his forever home :)

What fantastic work LRRSE have done for this and many other dogs :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
Is this the lad you were telling me about yesterday Alison? What a fantastic story. Thank goodness LRSE&C were able to pick up the pieces & save this poor boy.

Stories like this are what make rescue worthwhile for me. Every dog deserves a chance & Scooby will now have a great life with people who truly love him :D

(I won't mention what I would like to do to the scumbags who rejected him in his hour of need :evil: )

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Its always wonderful to hear these stories, it really shows what rescue is all about, not just rehoming unwanted dogs, but helping those who need urgent assistance.

Keep up the good work Alison and thanks for sharing, we'd love to hear of more success :wink:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scooby

_Linda_ said:
Great to hear that Scooby has made a full recovery and is now happily settled in his forever home :)

Linda,

Many thanks for this, but I thought I would point out so that people are not confused, we are LRSE&C.

Alison
x

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Re: Scooby

Wildwater said:
_Linda_ said:

Linda,

Many thanks for this, but I thought I would point out so that people are not confused, we are LRSE&C.

Alison
x
:oops: :oops: :oops: sorry Alison, great work by them LRSE&C, my apologies it has been a very long day :? Still a lovely story :D

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
What a lovely story and a great ending for Scooby :D , its great that the vets called the rescue and asked for help rather than putting the poor boy down, he looks like he has many good years in him yet.

As for the owner :twisted: , my words would get me banned from LF.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
Well done LRSE&C, wonderful that you were able to help Scooby. Hope he has many happy years with his new family :love7:

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
What a lovely ending.

But what a scumbag previous owner to desert his boy when he needed help. Was he left out to run loose on the road, or had he escaped from a "secure" garden?

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
What a wonderful story and a lovely happy ending for Scooby.

Hope he will be very happy in his new forever home :D

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
8O :( :D ...so pleased it was a happy ending for Scooby :D

·
Premium Member
11,616 Posts
Lovely to hear about Scooby.Can never understand people abandoning their animals in time of need.Well done to the Vets and the labrador rescue. :) :)

G

·
Thank goodness for rescues and good vets! I am so pleased Scooby has a lovely forever home and that the story has a happy ending! :D

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
his previous owners never deserved to have such a brave and loving companion i can't type what i think of them :evil: :evil:

thank goodness for LRSE&C :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts