Labradors Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here compete a lab in Schutzhund? At my club there was a chocolate lab who was Schutzhund 1. I am keen to get another dog specifically for Schutzhund ,am not a hge GSD lover ,have always wanted a working black lab, but have no idea how easy they are to train . I have a Dobe so I do have a lot of patience but he is not suitable as his prey drive is too eratic! Any comments greatfully received.
Thanks Alys

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
It is slightly different to Working Trials Alison, but similar. I must admit I only know of German Shepherds, Rotties etc. who compete, but I am sure there must be some labs.

I do know someone who competes at quite a high level with a GSD and I'm sure she would help if you cannot find out the information anywhere else.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Hi Alys .

How very interesting , a chocolate lab that was Schutzhund 1. I had not heard about that one on the grape vine in working trials , I have known a Border Collie that qualified I think schutzhund 3 .

Well I have known of one black Lab that was working Patrol Dog excellent in working trials but that was some time ago . He belonged to
Terry Hadley who sadly passed away. I remember well watching that dog work and I still smile about his quartering and location of the crim and his tail was wagging madly all of the time.

Quite a few people that do working trials Patrol dog used to say to me that Shadow would have done man work but it was not something that I was really keen on doing ( dont really like the test of courage part )
From what I can gather the PD people like a high drive dog with a good retrieve drive, I would guess that it would be similar in schutzhund .

If you decide to get a lab I would look for a high drive working line and
I would go for a dog rather than a bitch , but that is just my opinion there are some border collie bitches that do pd but there are more dogs .

Please let us know how you get on should you decide to get a lab :wink:

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Alys

I have actually just found a post on another forum by Allyson, the friend of mine who does Schutzhund. She was there on the day that the chocolate got Schutzhund 1. She got another Schutzhund 3 with her GSD on that day.

If you let me have your email address I will pass it on to her.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
Having been involved in a French dog club (me with agility) but the club was originally a French equivalent of Schutzhund club, called French "Ring", I'd say that the temperament of a lab would make it difficult to progess past basic levels in Schutzhund. The obedience part and tracking would be easy but the attack part, well they are much more geared to working defence breeds like GSD, BSD, Dobbies etc, as it involves bitework. I'd be seriously disappointed if anyone considered our breed as a suitable breed for serious schutzhund or French Ring. A labrador is not a guarding breed and any inclination to bite, in an albit it controlled manner, other than carrying dead prey should be seriously discouraged and surely goes against the breed standard?

As I said, I used to be closely involved as an observer in French ring which is in many way much stricter than Schutzhund and I'd be horrified if I saw a lab taking part in competition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all your replies,it makes interesting reading,the chocolate lab was the same one at the trial with Alyson,he has the most fantastic temperament and had also competed at working trials.I understand peoples reservations about bitework but the trainer I go to is purely motivational ,no e-collars or shouting(apart from at the owners!) The bitework is in prey drive and the dogs love it.
I have decided I will probably get a GSD as it will be easier but I will always hanker after a black Lab. Next time maybe and I can do working trials perhaps.
Thank you for your candid replies
Alys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts