Labradors Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please help ! My lovely 6months old labrador monty is terrified of the car !!
As we are walking up to it he will sit down and refuse to go anywhere near it so we lift him in and he driblles constanly!
Has anyone had this same problem or have any advice ??
Thanks for reading
Rebecca

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is the dog distressed in the car? Or does he settle down when the car is moving. Labradors tend to be quite good travellers. Like any behaviour issue you'll need to encourage the positives, lots of praise and fuss in the car, maybe sitting in the car with him for a while (in the boot!) and giving a bit of fuss/treat if he settles down.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont know what it is we thought maybe its because he was only goin to the vets in the car so we started taking him to the forests and for a swim in the car and i hav been sitting in there with him recently giving him treats trying to play with him(not interested too scared) like you say really making a fuss of him maybe it will take time !! Thanks very much

·
Registered
46 Posts
If he has a favourite toy or blanket he sleeps on it may be worth putting that in to try to make the environment feel secure. It will take time, cars are one of the things that a puppy should be introduced to when really young. Our current litter will get their first very short ride in the car in a couple of weeks - when they are old enough to appreciate it.

Hope you get it sorted as monty probably still has some growing to do and lifting could become tricky!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes it will lol. Thanks very much for your help the strange thing is on the day we bought him he came in the car hes also been in the car ever since :? :? :? :? :? We dont no what to do weve tried everything i think its just goin to take some time !!
Thanks very much !
Rebecca

1 - 5 of 5 Posts