Labradors Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know Cadbury has his daft moments, like a while back he refused to go out in the dark.

Anyway, his crate is in the den which has laminate flooring. It has been there for months, however Cadbury has suddenly (last couple of days) become nervous of stepping out of his crate and crossing the floor. He is absolutely fine going in. But coming out he is really uneasy.

Take last night, I open the crate door, walk away and normally he will follow (or try and eat the cat's food!). But last night he came half out, front paws on floor. Was wagging his tail, but would not come any further. Eventually he went backwards and sat in his crate.

After trying to coax him out I got hold of his collar and pulled him out. He was like a ton of bricks until all his paws were out, then there was this mad flurry of feet and he ran out of the room as fast as he could. Once on the hall carpet he was absolutely fine. I even checked his back legs thinking he may have pulled something, but no, they are fine.

He went back in his crate, walked across the laminate fine. But this morning, the same procedure.

My mum watches him for me on a Tuesday evening. She reckons he slipped on the laminate one evening because he came out too fast and that this has spooked him. I think she could be right. Cadbury can be quite sensitive about these things and he is definitely uneasy about stepping out onto the floor.

So what do I do?

·
Registered
248 Posts
My uncle had this problem with one of his dogs. He ended up making a series of 'carpet islands' for the dog to walk along - a big rug in the middle of the floor and a couple at each doorway. I think this is a bit extreme (but his dog was old and he didn't want him to slip and injure himself). How about dotting treats around on the floor and praising him for staying on the floor long enough to find them?

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
You can get small rugs/mats, I`d try one outside his crate, this should help him in those first steps out, after that hopefully hell be ok, he just needs to get his confidence back :)

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys

How about dotting treats around on the floor and praising him for staying on the floor long enough to find them?
Yes, I could try that to coax him out. Put them just out of reach so he has to move to get them.

You can get small rugs/mats, I`d try one outside his crate, this should help him in those first steps out
I was wondering about a rug, I've got a hall runner that I could move just to get him started.

I suppose laminate floor is not a particularly natural surface for a dog to walk across and it can be pretty slippy!

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Yes it is Sophie, I had it laid after the fire and it took Cindy and CJ a little while to get used to it, CJ has learned that he can`t bum tuck on it else he ends up like Bambi :lol: , he does spins on the rug in the living room instead :D

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Aaaw poor Cadbury, he's such a sensitive soul isn't he.

No advice sorry as my three just go haring across the laminate with not a care in the world, it makes me cringe the speed they race over it.

Hope he gets over it soon.

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
We're completely laminate or tile here so ended up buying an end of carpet cos trying to teach Luna to sit when she was 3months old was soooooo difficult as the poor mite ended up sliding into a down!!!!

Can't make any other sensible suggestions other than I'd use the treats and a 'find it' game to help him build his confidence up on the floor again once his nose is working he'll forget about being scared and a rug just in front of the crate could get him moving out of the crate!

The less sympathy he gets the better when he's acting scared! I really wish that we'd knocked Luna's vacuum fear on the head a year ago instead of comforting and feeling sorry for her - she ATE for the first time this week whilst I was vacuuming!!!!! A massive show of how much progress she's made in making friends with it but it has been more of an effort than it ever should have been!!!!

Be brave Cadbury!!!

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CJ has learned that he can`t bum tuck on it else he ends up like Bambi
Ouch! :lol: I have a feeling Cadbury did something similar which is what has triggered this little situation.

Aaaw poor Cadbury, he's such a sensitive soul isn't he.
Oh definitely! To people who don't know he seems very bold and confident (and very very bouncy) but actually it doesn't take much to knock his confidence. He had a minor tumble off the mini dog walk the other week, and I mean minor, he was barely off the ground. But it has taken three weeks of patience and practice to have him almost racing across it as he was before. And yet when he does go, he goes so fast and people tell me "that dog has no fear." He is certainly a complex creature!

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The less sympathy he gets the better when he's acting scared!
Oh yes. He gets encouragement but not sympathy, but it is so hard because you feel mean when he is clearly not happy but you know you mustn't make a fuss. Oh well...

Be brave Cadbury!!!
I'll tell him that message came from the lovely Luna, then like any self-respecting male, he will try his hardest just to impress a lady! :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Luna says she's glad to act as an incentive!! She likes boisterous but sensitive boys! (I am so grateful we got her spayed! :lol: )

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
We had this issue with Honey and initially sorted it with a rubber backed runner. As her confidence increased, we got shot of it and enticed her into the kitchen with treats. No problems now at all. Cads must just be a sensitive soulie too x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts