Labradors Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I'm new to this forum and just need some advice, I recently let my dog mate with another lab via AI on the 20th and 23rd of may. Had test done to see when she was most fertile had a scan last week and the scanner (not a vet) said that she is showing no pups bit Lucy has completely changed she is very tired a lot her temperament has changed also her nipples are slightly bigger and much darker she had 1 little inny which has started to come out slowly and her mammery glands at the back first and seconds look like they are drooping slightly, the scanner told me a bunch of different things one being a phantom but Lucy has had 3 and the way she is now is completely different, scanner also told me that sometimes a dogs egg are not compatible with the studs sperm (has anyone of this before) she is going to the vets tomorrow to have nails clipped so I am going to ask them of they can have a little feel as I have read that sometimes puppies can hide high up in the uterus...any advice would be very helpful.

·
Administrator
22,129 Posts
Pups can, at certain times during the pregnancy, be hard to find. I would not place too much faith in the scan. My friend used to organise with a mobile sheep scanner to come to her house. She used to contact all her breeder friends so that she had quite a few bitches to be scanned which brought the price down. She always swore that the sheep scanners, scanning probably 100 sheep in a session had far more experience and were better at finding the pups.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pups can, at certain times during the pregnancy, be hard to find. I would not place too much faith in the scan. My friend used to organise with a mobile sheep scanner to come to her house. She used to contact all her breeder friends so that she had quite a few bitches to be scanned which brought the price down. She always swore that the sheep scanners, scanning probably 100 sheep in a session had far more experience and were better at finding the pups.
Hi John thanks for the reply when she had the scan the scanner just rubbed it on her belly with her standing and said sorry can't see any pups like I said I'll ask the vet to have a little feel tomorrow and go from there.

·
Administrator
22,129 Posts
I read an article some while back about scanning for human babies. The article said that there were a greater percentage of left handed children amongst those who had been scanned before birth than those not scanned! Makes yer think! In my time I only had one obvious left handed dog. So how do you tell if a dog is left handed you ask? Watch the way it naturally turns. In those days I was working competitive Obedience. When you send a dog out for a retrieve most dogs will pick the article up and turn clockwise to return. My Beth ALWAYS turned anticlockwise! Now there is a useless piece of information for you!!!

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
To be honest, I don't scan, if she's got pups it starts to become obvious, and if you've made plans then you just carry them out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts