Labradors Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Cadbury's right elbow he has lost a little fur and the skin looks dry and scaly. The scaly skin extends under the fur a little, so if you push back his fur you see more. It is quite flaky.

It doesn't seem to bother him, he doesn't lick it or rub at it and he is laying down on the patio and kitchen floor just as he always does so it can't be sore.

I have no idea what it is, so I'm popping him to the vets when I can get an appointment (probably Friday). I'm hoping its nothing major and maybe a little bit of dry skin.

Any ideas guys? I always value LF wisdom.

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
I personally wouldn't bother the vets with it, it sounds like an elbow callus. They get them from lying on hard floors which I expect in the heat he's doing a lot of?
They can get quite nasty looking in old dogs but in younger dogs start off as just bald patches of scaly skin.

A little nivea or olive oil can help soften the skin and moisturise it, but really the only cure to get the hair to grow back is to keep him from lying on the hard floors and putting pressure on it.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They get them from lying on hard floors which I expect in the heat he's doing a lot of?
Yes, he has been doing that an awful lot and you should hear the thud from his elbows as he goes down! :x

I was wondering about rubbing something on, but wasn't sure what would be safe. Do you mean the nivea hand cream? I've got olive oil. I also have some baby oil that I did wonder about trying?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Coal has these on his elbows as he loves lying on the granite floor :D

i just use vaseline on them or hand cream... usually in the evening when he's asleep so less likely to lick off :roll:

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
I meant vaseline as Sam says, but said Niveo sorry :lol:

Any of those are fine, just bear in mind he may burn with oil on his skin in this heat so best pop it on at the end of the day.

Does he put his bum down and then slide his front legs with a thud to lie down? Basil does this and in singapore we had marble floors and he got horrid elbows- they have now thankfully fully healed

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Kaiser has the same thing on his left elbow, he had it a little on the right too but the hair seemed to grow back there. We had Kaiser at the vets not long ago cause he had a build up of wax in his ear, the vet gave us some antibiotic drops and said we could use them on his leg too but it did nothing for it so stopped using them there.

Kaiser also has a round spot on the back of both his back legs which look like a callus. I'd really like to get rid of the one on his left elbow though cause its quite long in length. I'll give the olive oil a try and see if it helps the skin, hope it works for Cadbury too. :)

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to know its quite a common thing, Sam, Cadbury loves lying on the cool tiles in the kitchen, bet he would love a cool granite floor! :lol:

Does he put his bum down and then slide his front legs with a thud to lie down?
Yep, exactly. Hopefully once the weather cools he'll be more inclined to come on the carpet or sleep in his basket.

Leanne25 - hope the oil works on Kaiser, I'm going to start on Cadbury tonight and see how it goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts