Labradors Forums banner

Sandylands geneology!

27K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  purpleprincess 
#1 ·
Hiya,

Any Sandyland pups out there?

#2 ·
Hundreds! It was possibly the most influential kennel in Labradors, in fact I would doubt any show line would NOT have Sandyland somewhere in the background. Not only that but it is also found behind a large percentage of working Labs! The big three, Tweed, Tan and Tandy are obviously dogs to single out and along with Mark I have spoken about these in the past, so this time I’ll single out another, one this time you may not have heard of! Sandylands Sovereign Of Suddie. A lovely dog with some lovely dogs around descended from him.

Regards, John

#5 ·
Yes, it is the very same Sandylands Vidhya. "Sandylands Game shot at Linjor". Game shot’s sire was Sandylands Gadabout, (Who Mommy is talking about) and is out of Sandylands Obsession. Linjor is another old affix in Labradors dating back I think into the 1960’s. Have a look at their web site and click on “Boys” and you will see a photo of Game Shot!

http://www.linjorretrievers.co.uk/

Regards, John

#7 ·
Hi Labrazil. They thought they'd got rid of me! :wink:

The interesting thing about Gwen Broadley, late of the Sandylands Kennel, was that she bred 3 distinct lines, one solid black (Although coming as it did through Follytower Merrybrook Black Stormer, it also carried chocolate). One Yellow which was decended through Sandylands Charlie Boy, and the third was a black and yellow mix through Sandylands Truth. As far as possible, as I can deturmine through the pedigrees, she appeared to keep the lines as seperate as possible even though the origins in all three cases was Ruler of Blaircourt!

Regards, John

#9 ·
Barney

Just dug out Hartscrest Baghdad's pedigree certificate ... or Barneys family tree as we prefer to call it :wink:

One of he grandparents was Sandylands Gad-about, and further back, there are lots more Sandylands putting it about.

Some of these pedigree names are splendid...but a bit difficult to shout in the park!

Barneys breeder named all the pups while he was watching the Gulf war on TV..so we have Hartscrest Baghdad, Hartscrest Euprates, Hartscrest Basra etc I'm just pleased Barney wasn't named Hartscrest Weapons of Mass destruction or we might never find him if he ran off. :roll:

I'll stick with Barney

www.marsupialelvis.com
Home of the real weapon of mass destruction... if the state of my chair legs are anything to go by!

#11 ·
Hiya,

Tilly's, are......
Gadabout, my guy, Bliss, Bramble, Rae, Longley come rain and Ranson of Sandylands.......

Thats 5 generations..............must see how far back I can go ( saddo with too much time on hands, clearly ! )

John, where would I find this info? KC or Sandylands site ?

Rhoni

#14 ·
Ravenshall is the affix of Mrs J Harris, Anthea. It is of course nowhere near as old as the Sandylands affix, and coming from Yorkshire, the other end of the country to me I don’t get to see her dogs very often. I will say though, I have seen some nice dogs descended from her lines so it would appear they are not bad dogs even if I’ve not seen many.

John, where would I find this info? KC or Sandylands site ?

Obviously it is all in the Breed Record Supplements Rhoni but of course if you don’t have the back issues then that avenue is out. The KC do a database for sale at something like £500 which, although nice is out as far as I’m concerned!!! I’m not sure if Sandylands actually have a website, although the internet does carry a wealth of info if you do a search on something like Google. Gradually over the years I have put my own dogs onto a database. To that I’ve added dogs who interest me, both show and working. Books have added quite a bit more, such as, “The Show Labrador Retriever of Great Britain and Northern Ireland 1945 – 1995 Volume two” by Richard Edwards (Which although packed with info on breeding lines is as heavy to read as it’s title!!!) Another is the wonderful books by Dr Isabella Kraft. These books are page after page of pedigrees! I have “The Workers” which contains the pedigree of every FT champion from 1904 to 1993. All the info is available somewhere, it only needs finding.

As I’ve said before, I love Labradors and their pedigrees are a word picture to the dogs if you really study them.

Regards, John

#16 ·
John and Antheawad,

Thanks for that, I'll look on that site...............

The Sandylands I mentioned earlier was dad's side ( Chesil King Solomon over Treburrow )

Mom's side is out of working dogs, namely Una's delight , through to Haretor Mark of Drakeshead and Pocklea tide of Middlegate ( what lovely names )

Rhoni

#17 ·
Thanks Anthea, including photos of the dogs I've been talking about!

Haretor Mark was line bred through that great worker Swinbrook Tan. Also included was the great Palgrave Edward and Holdgate Willie. Behind Edware was the world famous Sendhurst Sweep! Almost no working line worth it's salt can be without these great dogs!

It's interesting that in a country like the UK with over 44000 Labs registered in just one year that there are possibly only around 50 working dogs behind all working Labradors. Try finding a working Lab to outcross to and it's almost impossible! At first sight, as I was once told, almost every working Labrador is an outcross but try following the pedigrees and yo very soon find this is just not so!

If it's interesting names Rhoni, what about "Pigfaced Ernshaw" who was by Zog out of Mansel's Daffodil! Now that is what I call a wonderful name and I always wonder what the reason for the naming was!!! Whatever I bet Ernshaw, whoever he was, was not amused!

Regards, John

#19 ·
I had a good teacher Anthea. My friend is a Flatcoated Retriever fanatic, give her the name of a dog and she will give you a 5 generation pedigree for it right off the top of her head and I've never known her wrong! Me, I'm not that good! :D

Regards, John

#25 ·
Chesapeake Bay retrievers are still a bit thin on the ground here in the UK. I have one in my Gundog Training class but it is not as common or as popular as I would have thought. Of course, some can be out and out thugs and by and large they have a far higher guarding instinct than Labradors. Their real forte is as a Wildfowling dog. The thick mud of the tidal marshes is where they come into their own.

Regards, John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.