Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the ice and snow and lots of newbies on the forum -

Beware of your dog getting salt and grit on their paws when out for a walk or if you put it on your paths - it is dangerous for a dog to ingest a lot of salt so keep a close eye on them and make sure they aren't licking salt off the ground and wipe their paws when you get in so they don't lick it off them either.

Also be aware that antifreeze is poisonous to dogs (and cats and children...) but apparently has a lovely sweet taste so be careful that your dog doesn't have access to any, if you're filling up the car leave them indoors in case you spill it and keep it in a well sealed container preferably in the garage.

:)

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Thanks especially re the salt.
Walked out onto pavement this morning and slipped and landed on my hands and knees Ben barked liked crazy !!
We hopped in the van and went to the local field instead :roll:

?

·
0 Posts
Also, I'd go so far as to say, wash rather than wipe their paws off, because salt gets into all the little cracks in their pads and into their nail beds, which REALLY smarts.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
That's it someone needs to event like a "paw spa" so
Something that will clean rinse and dry doggies paws!

Jules this sounds weird but had a dream about u last night and it only just came back to me when I saw your post. You stormed into my house and left your dogs with us saying I can't do this anymore :roll: we then has to contact rescue centres to find new homes for them all

?

·
0 Posts
Elizabeth23 said:
Jules this sounds weird but had a dream about u last night and it only just came back to me when I saw your post. You stormed into my house and left your dogs with us saying I can't do this anymore :roll: we then has to contact rescue centres to find new homes for them all
8O 8O That's no dream. That's a Nightmare!!!

:wink: :lol:

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
_Jules_ said:
Elizabeth23 said:
8O 8O That's no dream. That's a Nightmare!!!

:wink: :lol:
Ha!! I wanted to keep the poodles!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Friend lost a dog this summer through drinking from a puddle that was contaminated with anti freeze whilst staying on a caravan site. Thanks for the advice re salt and grit.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Another tip for their paws is paw wax. I put paw wax on Dylan's paws when walking him in snow and it is really good. I know this cos I forgot to do it one day and he was really hurting from the salt :( Rubbish mummying that day.

I use shaws paw wax it's about £4 a tin. Put it on just before you go out to avoid getting on carpets :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thanks guys, must admit I didn't know about the salt and grit. Will look into the paw wax sounds like a good protection for their little paws :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Instead of using salt on your driveways, cat litter (non clumping) is very good and will not harm your dogs

·
Premium Member
21,240 Posts
Just make sure it's fresh litter and not use outta the tray :wink: :lol: :lol:

Also Olive oil is a much more economical moisturiser and protector for your dogs paws and stops 'snowball' clumping

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
GOOD SHOUT ON THE ANTI-FREEZE!

On Friday Judy was showing an unusual interest in a "puddle" next to our Hydrotherapy pool.
This place is not the most salubrious on approach and the business next door is a panel beaters and above is a motor spares shop. I just had a feeling something wasnt right. Then I saw it... empty anti-freeze container!!!

I swore loudly and openly --- thankfully she was on the lead!!

This and weedkiller are two of my biggest fears

·
Registered
11,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Blimey thank goodness you were paying attention! Did you tell the hydro people? Maybe they should have a notice or something as if the garage has done it once they are likely to do it again and not everyone will be as vigilant as you :(

I agree about the weedkiller too that's one of the reasons I decided to teach mine not to sniff and nibble at things like dandelions on street walks they can only do that when we get to the park. The council spray the verges as well as homeowners doing drive/garden ends etc round here and the thought of them getting a mouthful of weedkiller is awful.

·
Registered
674 Posts
That paw wash thing is hillarious. Chewy gets a good old squirt from the outside tap hose I'm afraid, but she does get to snuggle by the radiator when we get home :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts