Labradors Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
En route to my parents house today, we stopped off for a coffee and we noticed Saffy had some clear discharge as she was lying on her back. We did the wipe test and it wasn't actually clear, and more of an off white.

Fast forward a few hours and it has turned to brown blood, although, no swelling at all yet.

We are at my parents house, so Humphrey will be staying for the next 4 weeks *cries* and I will be visiting him a couple of times a week to restock my parents freezer with his food! I'll also have to drive back tomorrow (90+ miles each way) with his crate, some more suitable toys, and a bigger variety of food!

It just so happens that we were coming down today to visit an abattoir for some food for the dogs, so my cars boot is stocked up with plenty of food! So he's got chicken carcass and beef bone for tomorrow and I'll bring him some mince and fish and other bits and bobs tomorrow!

Saffy's timing is actually impeccable because we were up here anyway so can leave Humphrey! And our car is full of stuff from the abattoir so he's alright for food!

My parents have already told me that we may struggle to get Humphrey back. My parents totally adore him and my Dad loves having another boy around the house. He's already planning lots of boy adventures! Me and the hubby will miss our little man so much though, even though we know separating them is for the best, and actually, the only option! I shall be skyping with him every night!

You'll all have to remind me in a few days that it's for the best, when I'm missing my little man!

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Ok, just to make sure, a lot of bitches have a browny discharge leading up to a season here and there... Day one is the first day of bright red pillar box blood. There can be days and even weeks between the odd browny smear and her season itself. But if you have bright red drips today then you are off and running 😊.
Di

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boogs said:
Awwwwwww - all the best!

Tatze was a bit antsi in the first few days of her season, but soon settled into the new routine.

:)
At the moment she is pretty hesitant to leave my side. I went upstairs at my parents house yesterday and she howled till I came back, which isn't like her, especially when she's got my parents there.

Last night she just wouldn't settle at all, but she did sleep when she eventually settled down.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mibec said:
Oh - I know you're going to miss him but it's not long; try to think he's on lovely holidays :)
Our house just doesn't feel right without him! We overslept today since we weren't woken by sloppy kisses and a paw to the face telling us he needed to go out, and his little funny yawn!

I'm off to see him later today. There's a few things I need to take (his collar and lead, his crate, a couple of sturdy toys, some food, and his blanket).

I've not yet called my parents to see how he's getting on today. We didn't leave until 2am, and when I called them at 3 (and woke them up) they said he had been crying at the door since we left. But then he settled down and was asleep!

I'm sure he'll get used to everything soon enough and have a ball! I already caught him on my Dads knee and my Dad secretly talking to him saying "I won't want to give you back!" so he'll be fine! It's just me that won't be! It's only been a few hours and I already miss the little fella! :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Diana said:
Ok, just to make sure, a lot of bitches have a browny discharge leading up to a season here and there... Day one is the first day of bright red pillar box blood. There can be days and even weeks between the odd browny smear and her season itself. But if you have bright red drips today then you are off and running 😊.
Di
When she was sat with my mum last night, there was a red smear on the blanket. I wouldn't say it was pillar box red, but it was more red than brown. She's been constantly cleaning herself though so maybe I am missing the bright red bits, if there are any yet?

We've had cream sheets in her beds and a cream blanket on our bed and our sofa since she was 6 months old, plus we do the tissue test usually once or twice a day, and yesterday was the first sign of anything, but throughout the day the discharge got darker and then there was more of it. She's still not swollen at all though.

Now that Humphrey is bigger than her and pretty strong, we've been keeping a close eye on every single interaction. Not that we didn't before, but more so now! I'm possibly jumping the gun slightly since there's been no bright red bleeding that I'm aware of, but I don't want to be *that* person that accidentally (or naively) lets their dogs mate. The last thing I want is Saffy having a litter, or having the mismate jab. Of course, I'd use it if the need arose but I'm really trying to avoid that as you can probably imagine :)

It may be worth me keeping him at my parents until at least tomorrow evening as we have to pop out, and then perhaps reassess and see where we're up to with the bleeding. I've still got that info about her cycle and at which points she's likely to be most fertile etc, but I don't want to take any chances if I can help it. I suppose it's just going to be a game of wait and see :)

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
If you have seen actual red, then chances are she is in :) Its the brown smears and stains that people sometimes jump the gun on.

Better to possibly think she is when she isn't than the other way around :)
Di

1 - 8 of 8 Posts