Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all,

I just wanted to introduce Rupert, my darling foster boy. He was handed in to rescue as his owners were moving house and couldn't take him with them.

He's been with me about 10 days now but it's taken me that long to get him looking handsome enough to take these pics. He came to me with a coat full of matts and it took me about 8 hours of grooming to get him back to this state, but luckily I did manage to save his coat (we were starting to wonder if we'd need to shave it all off and start again!).

Sniffing the raspberries

Rupert looooooooves raspberries :)

Sitting pretty after a bath this morning

We think he's around 8, and he's certainly got a "young personality" - he's happy hoolying around in my back garden with my 12 month old pup, and he loves initiating play. We're working on heel-work onlead, he's much better now already than he was when he started, so he will need someone happy to keep working with him on this, as he's a big lad and you wouldn't want him to get back into the habit of pulling you along on a walk.

He is perfectly behaved in the house, doesn't jump up on people or worktops, has never been destructive in any way, and is fine being left alone. He likes his walks, but being of an older vintage, he's probably not going to want to walk all day long. He has been managing fine on a 1-hour walk daily with my dogs. He always returns when called, and never really wanders far from you on a walk. He loves to swim (but needs easy access out of the water e.g. streams, lakes with beaches etc).

I don't have cats so I can't guarantee he is cat-friendly, but he's never even raised an eyebrow at my free-range chickens, so I don't foresee any problems. He is absolutely fine with other dogs and there hasn't been a single cross word in my house since he arrived, which is great!

Unfortunately he has a bit of a health problem, when I was giving him his first bath I discovered he has a tumor. He is receiving veterinary treatment, we are trying to shrink it right now with a view to operating in the next week or two once it's a more manageable size. LRRSE are funding the operation, so my next move is to do some fundraising to help pay for his operation - any suggestions for good ways to raise money would be gratefully received!

He is a lovely old gent and such a cuddly teddy-bear, he'll make someone a fantastic companion! We love him to pieces and I really do think he will be snapped up by the first person who meets him in the flesh.

Rupert is being fostered through LRRSE, and will not be able to be re-homed until he has had his operation and we've got the lab results back on his tumor. If you, or someone you know, may be interested in giving him a forever home, please PM me, or contact Sue Birmingham at [email protected]

·
Registered
318 Posts
What a fab boy Rupert is and a great post about him, thank you Ness.

I have a huge soft spot for Goldies and if I could have him I would in a blink but I have to stick to my promise of no more dogs in our house :cry:

We are all hoping that Rupert's health will have a full recovery and will be looking for that extra special home for him.

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Awww Rupert is gorgeous Ness, hope his treatment goes well and he`s fit and raring to go to a new home soon, well done for getting those mats out of his coat without having to shave him :D

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Awww, Rupert is gorgeous :D I really hope his health problems are sorted and he goes onto make a full recovery very soon.

I hope his forever home is just around the corner for him too :D

·
Registered
10,127 Posts
Ooooooooooooh - I love Rupert. He has a touch of Zorro about him, and Zorro is 8 years too. You don't have a KC name for him, do you? (Just wondering if they could be related)
How desperately sad to be looking for a new home at this time of life, but lucky Rupert getting to be fostered by you and yours Nessa.

I hope his tumour-op goes well and he finds his own new family soon afterwards. If only I had a smidgen more room for one extra, then I'd be first in the queue for him.

Becs and The gang

·
Premium Member
15,716 Posts
aww what a lovely distinguished gent.

Good luck with the op Rupert and well done Ness for giving him the chance of a new life with someone

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Aaaw Ness, what a gorgeous chap. He has a beautiful face and expression.

I really hope that his tumour treatment goes well and that he finds a lovely new home soon.

Well done you for giving him a lovely foster home.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ooh hello handsome :)

Wow Vanessa he looks soooo much better than he did when I collected him from his old home-you have worked wonders :D

I can vouch for what an absolute gentleman Rupert is, he's a cuddly teddy bear of a dog & will make someone very happy.

Fingers crossed all goes well with his op & he's off to his new life very soon :D

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Becs said:
Ooooooooooooh - I love Rupert.
I knew you would :) He does remind me a bit of Zorro, so I'm glad I wasn't just imagining that! Sadly, I don't have a KC name for him, the people who gave him up were his 3rd or 4th home, and they said that he was 12 - but there's no way he's that old! The vet agrees with me and would guess he's around 8 or so.

He's back at the vets on Tuesday night to ascertain if they are able to operate yet, so I'll post an update then - and I'll be asking for bucketloads of those famous LF vibes to get him through the op safely too!!

x

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
emeraldlady said:
Wow Vanessa he looks soooo much better than he did when I collected him from his old home-you have worked wonders :D
LOL - he SMELLS a helluva lot better as well!!! I have taken great delight today in grabbing him and sniffing the lovely "clean dog" smell that he has now :) what a huge change from the day he arrived huh? Who knew such a handsome gent was hiding under all of that!

Thanks so much for picking him up, I'm sure it won't take us long to find his perfect forever home.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ness and Julie you are both very lovely people and Im sure that Rupert thanks you for helping him on his way to a lovely new life and a clean one too :D

Im so lucky to have such fantastic foster homes for the dogs we help.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can Rupert please have some of those famous LF vibes? He is off to the vets this afternoon so they can see if the tumor has reduced and they can operate yet.

Please send bucketloads of "shrink shrink evil growth" vibes for him!!

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Awww he is lovely, so handsome, i fostered a GR for a few days over the weekend and was totally smitten!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Rupert sounds like the perfect family addition, and what a handsome chap he is too!

I am so glad he has some time with you all to adjust and I am sure LRRSE will find him a lovely home for him.

Fingers crossed for the op.

1 - 20 of 198 Posts