Labradors Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the second night running (no pun intended) Ruby has had the runs in her crate overnight. Yesterday morning she'd also been sick in the crate, poor girl, but this morning it was just poo. Yesteday I blamed the bones she'd had the day before, but today I'm not sure what's causing it. She's always uprooting stuff in the garden to chew on, despite my best efforts to stop her and I'm sure her habit of eating her (and other dogs) poo is not helping the situation. I kept a careful eye on her in the garden yesterday and managed to rescue all but one of her poos!

She seems absolutely fine in herself, she's bright and breezy, her gums look healthy and her nose is good and cold and wet :) OH said she was a bit 'panty' yesterday but better on her walk this morning. It was too late this morning to tell OH not to give her her breakfast, but I'm wondering if I should not feed her tonight, to give her tum a rest and hopefully have nothing in it that needs to come out again overnight. Trouble is her appetite is as healthy as ever, so I'm loathe to starve her if it's just a bug or something she ate working itself out of her system. I'm also ensuring she's got water available all the time, so as not to dehydrate.

I'm not really sure what else I can do. I'm reluctant to take her to the vets at the moment as she seems ok other than her exploding bottom! I've decided to leave it another day and if she has another accident in the crate tonight, take her to the vets tomorrow.

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm sure her habit of eating her (and other dogs) poo is not helping the situation.
I know when my past pups ate others poo (they didn't eat their own) it always upset their tums and if they got to any cat poo the results could be quite explosive 8O .

I didn't used to starve them as once it was all out, it was out. However if it had gone on for more than a day or two, I'd have been a bit concerned about some type of infection, especially if they were eating "unknown" poos.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
_Jules_ said:
However if it had gone on for more than a day or two, I'd have been a bit concerned about some type of infection, especially if they were eating "unknown" poos.
Yep, this is why I'm going to give it another day before taking her to the vet, just to see if it gets out of her system on its own.

It's interesting that you mention cat poo as causing very explosive results - I caught Ruby digging up Tigger's poo in the garden the other day. I'll keep an extra-careful eye out for that, too.

?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had to fence off the area my cats use as a loo, as it gave one of my pups such bum troubles and she just couldn't resist the stuff :roll: . I think cat poo is really rich and only semi digested, so to a lot of dogs it's like Manna from Heaven.

I'm so, sooo grateful none of the three I have now eat poo....well Guinea Pig and Horse poo gets a little nibble but that's only mashed up grass. :wink:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do find the poo eating very troublesome, but then I've never had a dog before who did it. It looks like it's a habit that's here to stay, worse luck!

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
If I spot it before it's in the mouth I can now get Luna to get OFF it! And if it's in the mouth can sometimes get her to drop it. Poop! This morning's walk around muck covered field where no other dogs venture (I wonder why not!?) was very calm and quiet except for my OFF, NO, DEADs disturbing the peace!

Hope that Ruby's tum settles down tonight. You could always set alarm for the middle of the night to try to prevent crate getting mucky?!?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't get her to leave or get off the poo even though I try. I'm also careful not to turn my poo collecting in the garden into what she'd see as a game of 'who can get there first'. I've just started training her to drop things she's eating and shouldn't be (mostly stones) with the aid of a tempting treat. Maybe eventually she'll start doing that with poo, too! :)

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Poor little Ruby. When Sky had a poorly tum someone suggested to just give her a little wholemeal toast for the rest of the day and water. It seemed to work a treat and she was as right as rain the next day.
:)

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Pook said:
I can't get her to leave or get off the poo even though I try. I'm also careful not to turn my poo collecting in the garden into what she'd see as a game of 'who can get there first'. I've just started training her to drop things she's eating and shouldn't be (mostly stones) with the aid of a tempting treat. Maybe eventually she'll start doing that with poo, too! :)
You'll get there! It is disgusting but I got Luna to stop feasting on horse poo by holding some in my GLOVED! hand and getting her to OFF for a treat for a few times. Eventually she stopped even moving her nose towards my hand! She might now snatch a lick as she runs past but she no longer tucks in the napkin, pours the wine and loosens the belt when she sees horse poo!!! Couldn't bring myself to do with cat poo though!!

Scrambled egg and or yoghurt will usually help settle Luna's runny tum.

Good luck tonight!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. She's been asleep for much of the past few hours, not sure if that's related to the tum trouble or she's just knackered!

Am still not sure whether to feed her later, as she's been doing lots of little poos this morning and they were all runny. In between she was being a bit of a nightmare behaviour-wise - pestering me to give her attention and play, and being quite bitey - it's like she's reverted back to puppyhood! I'm going to take her for a walk later, see how she is then, and if she seems to be ok in herself I'll try her out with her usual dinner. If we have another overnight accident, I'll book her into the vets in the morning, just to get everything checked out.

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
About to kick Luna out (not literally!) for bedtime wee and hoping that Ruby has no runs tonight...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Laura. Will be taking Ruby for her pre-bedtime wee soon, too. She's been completely zonked out on the chair all night, bless her. I don't think she's feeling too good still. Am hoping if she goes to bed a bit later, and I can persuade her to have a poo beforehand, we might get a clean crate in the morning!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Mary. We're a lot later to bed than usual, so hopefully she'll be ok!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She's ok thanks, Mary. No poo in her crate this morning (hurrah!), but slightly worryingly no poo on her early morning walk either, which is not like her.

It's a beautiful day here, so we're planning on taking her out for a proper walk in the woods after she's had her breakfast - hopefully that'll get things moving for her again!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Just a thought, but we had nightime poo trouble when Hudson was little and brought his evening meal forward a couple of hours to make sure he pooed before bed. Never had a nightime poo incident since!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Ruth. I must admit I was pondering this myself yesterday, as we currently feed Ruby at around 5pm. It may well be something worth doing heading in to the winter months, as there's probably less likelihood of her getting walked in the late evening as she does now, as the weather and darkness will get worse. Her longer daily walk will probably end up being around lunchtime instead of at 6-7pm as it is now.

ps. I love your signature pic!

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Phew! For lack of crate poo and hope that she gets back into routine soon!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts