Labradors Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for a 4 month old lab to continually have poos that are not firm? Alfie has continually had semi-runny poos since we adopted him a couple of months ago, and nothing we do to his diet seems to change it.

We have tried various canned and dried puppy foods (changed on a gradual basis) but nothing seems to work. Maybe we should add a little Bisto to thicken it? :D

He devours his food in minutes and enjoys every scrap. He's also growing well. Any hints or tips anyone?

·
Registered
48 Posts
when we got cookie at 2months old, she went through a phase of having runny poos, but we also moved house not long after we got her, she is fine now and suffered no side effects etc to this episode maybe it might be due to stress etc as I found that once she had settled in the new house the runny poos stopped. we also took her to the vets who told us that sometimes when a puppy goes through a big change it can sometimes affect their behaviour etc

·
Registered
364 Posts
Harvey is now 5 months and its only this last few weeks that his poos have been consistantly firm

I think that when they are very young they dont have much tolerance to dietary abnormalities such as slight overfeeding or eating something they shouldnt which result in runny poos

Once they get to a certain age they seem to aquire the legendary cast iron Lab constitution and seem able to eat just about anything with no ill effects! :roll:

If your feeding a good quality puppy food that hes enjoying and is doing well on I wouldnt chop and change about. Just be aware that often the recommended quantities on the pack are often way over the top. Overfeeding is often the cause of runny poos, remember to factor in the amount of "treats" he gets as well, it all adds up!

Cheers
Nigel

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi LabbyDaddy - we had terrible trouble with our Charlie (now 9 months) - until he was about 6-7 months we had constant runny poos with him no matter what food he had, or however many trips to the vets we made it made no difference.

We knew that he wasnt 'ill' as such because his cost was gorgeous and he was growing normally and not behaving like a poorly dog, it was just his tummy that was proving problematic.

But then overnight (we changed his food one last time to Chappie) his stools firmed up and we have no problems now despite all the various things he scavenges throughout the day- as Nigel said I think labs all of a sudden develop the cast iron tummies!!

As long as Alfie is growing etc, and eating and drinking then I for one would not rush to the vets - trust me the tests they carry out cost a fortune!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts