Labradors Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luna runs as straight as an arrow towards the object she needs to collect and then kind of falls and rolls or flips over near it cos she runs faster than the quality of her brakes (meaning that I tend to throw things to her or close to her as I'm concerned she'll injure herself :roll: ). She'll then catch her breath and then run back in.

However, I noticed last week when we were playing fetch with a Springer Spaniel that he ran in an arc to the ball so that he could collect it and continue running back around to us. No falling or stopping or starting! If only Luna could do this!

Is it a lab thing to run direct? An age thing? Any tips for teaching her to sweep around instead of go straight?

G

·
Sorry, no tips! Just to say that Rueben does exactly the same thing so will be watching with interest for replies!

·
Administrator
21,507 Posts
Anna always ran and picked up before turning but Amy always pickes up from behind, ready to run straight back. I leave it to them over what they prefer. In my obedience days we always wanted them to pick up from the back so would have the obedience dumbel placed behind a chair so the dog could not pick from the front.

Regards, John

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JohnW said:
In my obedience days we always wanted them to pick up from the back so would have the obedience dumbel placed behind a chair so the dog could not pick from the front.
Thanks John! Might try the chair idea in the garden and see what she does! I just worry she's gonna break herself again as one of the possible causes of the stress fracture in April could've been her running and crashing. Just need her to learn that there is a more efficient, safe method! It was interesting when she was playing with the Springer that she did copy him once!!! It was then I realised how tense her crashing makes me even though to others it is amusing! :roll:

·
Premium Member
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well had an interesting 'play' session in the garden! If the treasured footie was behind or in front of the chair she kind of did a mixture of running straight to it and sweeping! She can brake to stop and pick up without crashing to the floor! However put the ball anywhere away from the chair/fence/wall she rolls whether she is chasing as thrown or waiting to be sent! She only crash rolls on grass, not on pavement!

SO I have started to praise her with a 'good pick up' when she picks up without crash landing and stay completely silent if she crashes! Have pm walk to replace with training in the garden due to doggies being walked and played with immediately in front of house and her possibly having a season :roll: so we'll see how quickly my clever pooch can pick up 'pick up' !

Thanks again for the tip John!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts