Labradors Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poppy has just recently started running off on walks.

Last weekend she got into a horse’s paddock and ran around like crazy, hoovering up horse poo as she went. :roll:

On Monday, at the park, she got through a hole in a fence into someone’s back garden. I was left calling and whistling her for what felt like a lifetime. Eventually when there was still no sign of her I had to go around to the front of the house and knock, there was no one in the first house, but two doors down the road a gentleman appeared with Poppy. She had been through three gardens and he had found her, in his back garden, eating up the bread he had left out for the birds!!! :oops:

She has done this twice since in different locations, put her head down and charged off, doing her own thing and totally ignoring my attempts to call her back. 8O

This is a totally new behaviour and I really want to nip it in the bud before something worse happens.

I’m planning to go back to using an extending lead and practising her recall, but any other tips or suggestions gratefully received.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the advice.

Poppy is 3 years old, her recall has been fine up until now :roll:

I will definitely be keeping her on a lead for a while and going back to basics with her recall training. I'll see if I can get the book you mention from the library too.

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Sorry can't offer any ideas other than what you and others have suggested. I would definitely put her back in the lead and take her to very boring places where there are no distractions. I was surprised when you said she was 3 as I was expecting you to say she was 15 months or similar! So maybe going back to basics is the way to go ?

Chloe

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Julie, can you get to me for a lesson, Hun? We can talk on the facebook group maybe...?

Di

1 - 6 of 6 Posts