Labradors Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poppy is nine weeks and only just getting out of the house for brief unleaded walks in the park. I carry her to the park then put her down and she follows me diligently.

At the moment she is facinated with anyone and will run after any human (or dog) she sees.

I am deliberately trying to train her off the lead (in the park) at the moment before introducing her to the lead. In the wild, pups wouldn't stray too far from their mother but I wonder if anyone has any insigths into how I might discourage her from running after everyone she sees without resorting to the lead.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Off lead

The only thing i would say is practice off the lead in an enclosed space like a garden or somewhere open but secure on an extendable lead.When the pup is that age and running after other dogs it can be dangerous for the pup.

when jess was 12 weeks she tried to jump on another dog as we walked passed it and it bit her on the face, she got away with just a fright but it could have been so much worse.

some dogs just dont want to play and can inflict serious damage on a small pup.

The extendable lead gives the pup some freedom but when you call it and pull the lead in the dog learns that when she is called this means its time to come back.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
The extendable lead gives the pup some freedom but when you call it and pull the lead in the dog learns that when she is called this means its time to come back.
I too would definately recommend a flexi/extendable lead, they are worth every penny. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts