Labradors Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

A couple of months ago, I bought crate for my boy which was around 36" x 22" x 24" big. It's still big enough for him as he's only 6 and 1/2 months old, but I'm guessing that he'll soon be big enough and he won't feel comfortable in there (he's already 20" tall at withers). I'd like to be able to consider buying him a bigger crate, but he sleeps with us in the bedroom and his current crate is taking a lot of space as it is and I don't think we might be able to fit a bigger one.

That being said, we're thinking of phasing out the crate and buying him a bed. He already has a dog pillow which is a tad smaller than the crate, but he won't sleep on that pillow unless it's rather cold inside. It's a 4" high fluffy pillow with a rather thin fleece cover, but its thermal properties are probably too much for my boy.

I was looking around and I've seem some people praise the Ruffwear Mt. Bachelor portable bed. It's one of the few beds I've seen online that seem durable enough and can be folded or packed for travel. Has anyone tried it or seen it in person and has any thoughts to share?

Also, I've had some problems trying to figure out the right size for a dog bed. I don't think he'll grow more than 4" and his father is around 24" as well. I was thinking of buying him a bed around 36"x25", which is the size of the crate he currently has, but he won't be limited by the crate walls. The Ruffwear bed has two sizes 35x28 or 48x36 and the bigger size is a bit too big.

Also, if somebody has some other ideas or helpful advice, it would be awesome :)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I can't find the bed that I have in my room for Cooper because I bought it in a sale somewhere, but it has soft sides all around as dogs like to lean their backs against something or rest their heads (or at least mine does). He also has a tuffie bed 68x59cm, which is like a big cushion in the dining room and he curls up on it during the day but at night he likes the comfort and safety that the sides provide. Usually if he gets too hot, he just lies flat on the floor :D

I realise that neither of these would be practical for your traveling though, but just wanted to give you some more options!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kiki_Dollywood said:
I can't find the bed that I have in my room for Cooper because I bought it in a sale somewhere, but it has soft sides all around as dogs like to lean their backs against something or rest their heads (or at least mine does). He also has a tuffie bed 68x59cm, which is like a big cushion in the dining room and he curls up on it during the day but at night he likes the comfort and safety that the sides provide. Usually if he gets too hot, he just lies flat on the floor :D
What's the size of the bed with soft sides all around?

Kiki_Dollywood said:
I realise that neither of these would be practical for your traveling though, but just wanted to give you some more options!
To be completely honest, I'd like to travel a lot with my dog. But usually there's a big gap between what I'd like to do and what I can actually do, considering I also have a job and a girlfriend. That being said, it would be nice to be able to buy a bed that's very travel-friendly, but that's not really a requirement.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I will measure it for you this evening, but it's probably around 90cm... Here's a pic in the meanwhile. I usually put a blanket in there as well so he can snuggle up more :wink: Cooper is 9months and ~24kg

The one I have in my signature pic is the Danish Design Morocco 89 cm, but Cooper chewed through it within days. It is very soft and so we have travelled with it, but sadly Cooper killed it 8O :D I definitely don't recommend it if Dante is a bed chewer like my boy, but at least it gives you an idea of size.

When we travel we either just bring the cushion from his bed or put a few blankets/towels in a comfy spot. I don't like to worry about stuff getting dirty on holidays, so towels and fleece blankets are super easy to clean.
Despite having 2 beds and access to the sofa, Cooper sometimes chooses to lie flat on the floor, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting him something specific for travelling unless you will be going camping, in that case you should probably get something waterproof.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much. I was keeping some beds in my Amazon wishlist and now I actually know which size to order :)

As for the subscription, I actually bought one right after your first reply. It just took a while for the profile to be updated with the subscription info, probably because we're still so close to Jan 1st.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In case somebody else trips over this thread, I eventually ordered the Ruffwear Mt. Bachelor pad. I bought the M size, which is 90x70cm and Dante really likes it (he learned "place" on that pad in half of day and he reliably sits there for more than 15 minutes).

I really like the waterproof side. It also prevents the pad from slipping even on really slippery surfaces. Also, when Dante gets a stuffed Kong, I flip the pad so the waterproof side is up and then it's a lot simpler to clean.

Overall, it's a really nice portable pad, although a bit expensive compared to other similar products (the Mud River Cache Cushion retails for $35 and the Mt. Bachelor Pad costs $69), but nicely made, but I wouldn't recommend it for teething puppies, though.

However, if I were to buy the pad again I would probably purchase the large version (it's just $10 more expensive and it's almost twice the size). There are few images or videos that really show the size of the pad, but the most telling is the one from Wildrose Kennels (the pad is a large pad and Indian is a British-type adult Lab).

Here's a photo of my Dante (he's almost 7 months old and he's 51 cm tall at withers) curled up on a medium Ruffwear Mt. Bachelor pad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts