Labradors Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While on our lovely holiday in Hunstanton having walked and played in the sea for hours we decided to have a little rest.

Popped Ruby on her lead and put down a bowl of water for her while i laid down half watching the sea half dozing. Within a few mo Ruby was fast asleep by my feet.

A black lab came running over. Before i could even sit up it was snarling with his heckles up which woke Ruby up and before she could react it was on top of her pinning her down while she squealed. She broke free and ran off with it chasing her ( trailing her lead behind her) luckily she ran back past me- so i did the only thing i could think of and scooped her up out of his reach, held her in the air and used my best angry voice to scare it.

When i started shouting the dog dropped to the floor and acted very submissive. A man came over and apologised saying he had "slipped off his lead" ( it was a slip lead so not the most secure idea for a not friendly dog and the dog had no collar or tag.)

Ruby has a patch of fur about the size of my thumb that's has been pulled out on her shoulder and 2 puncture marks, gave it a good wash to get the sand off with some water and put some pressure on it and then took her home, by the time we got back it had stopped bleeding.

Luckily she seems otherwise unscathed, but shes nervous enough around strange dogs already- so just what she didn't need!

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Sorry to hear that Ruby was attacked, it is so scary when it happens but you obviously stopped it before anything too bad happened, well done you :)

Sending Ruby {{{{{{{soothing and healing}}}}}} vibes :)

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Oh my word that horrible! :(
Poor Ruby, is she ok now?
If the man knew his dog didn’t mix well with other animals he should have used a more effective restraint method or a muzzle. Im not a fan of the muzzle but after encountering a similar thing at my local park, a man blamed me for letting Diesel off his lead on a quite field to play with his ball.
His dog came out of no where and tried biting Diesel and that was my fault some how.
I hope Ruby makes a full recovery and it doesn’t put her off too much with other dogs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Poor Ruby, hope you both get over the shock of the attack, its really frightening when that happens.Hope Ruby gets better soon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think i was more worried than she was! after a cuddle and lots of fuss she was fine and bum-tucking around the garden!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm glad Ruby's gotten over that horrible incident so quickly, what a brave girl! Hope the fur grow back quick, too!

·
Registered
676 Posts
So gald Ruby is Ok I know how you feel it happened to Saska, because of the puncture wounds I got the vet to check it out, he adivsed that this was the correct thing to do, can never be sure as the teeth from the other dog can go deep inside. We ended up with saska having to have an injection and antibiotics. The only problem I have now is she is frightened of most dogs which is such a shame as she used to love all of them.

All the best to Ruby she is such a cutie.

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Poor Ruby - hope she recovers very soon...

I have to agree that I would take Ruby to a vet to be checked over - Bramble was attacked at the beginning of February and he needed two courses of anti-biotics and was put on complete rest (his front leg was bitten and the canines went as deep as they could)

Eve Neo and Bramble

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the messages. Just thought i would update. She still has a bald spot, but the skin has healed up beautifully, i have been putting savlon on it occasionally to make sure it stays clean. We went out on tuesday and met a spaniel pup who she chased around happily so i think she's fine!

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's really upsetting when your youngster is attacked and it happened to us too yesterday morning in our local point to point field. A couple with two huskies on leashes and an old lab off lead came towards us. Rufus was on the lead and this couple stopped to say hello. I asked the man if his husky was safe to approach and he said OK. As Rufus leaned forward for a nose to nose sniff, the husky lunged forward and sank his teeth into Rufus's ear. He screamed and rolled onto his back. The husky owner apologized and said his dog was 'lively'. I'll say! The woman said 'He's never done that before'.
Apart from a tiny puncture wound in his ear, Rufus was OK but I can't help wondering why anyone would keep two huskies who can't be allowed off leash. Worrying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts