Labradors Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Seems like lot's of poorly labs at the mo :(

Ruby is happy as Larry today though I suspect she might be a bit grumpy later when she comes round.

Can I trouble you all for a bit of healing vibage please :D

·
Premium Member
15,716 Posts
Thinking of you all today Gareth. Hope everything goes smoothly.
How long is she in for?

·
Premium Member
14,224 Posts
Gareth - its going to be a long day for you but she really is in the best hands and will receive the best of care!!!!

Hoping all goes well with the surgery (I'm sure with Noel at the helm it will!!) and that she has a very speedy recovery with no complications....

Is she going to have physio and hydrotherapy at the new posh centre he's got??

Eve Neo and Bramble

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure when she will be home, she is obviously weak on the side of the first TPO but Lisa and I are ready to have her home anytime from Tuesday onward. She was up to 4-6 10 minute walks a day (very sniffy ones at that!!) but today she actually tried to run 8O so that was a good sign although very scary for me.

It just feels a bit crap having seen her personality come back over the last two weeks for her to go backwards but it's all for the greater good.

Another good thing is I checked with her breeder and her parents did indeed have good hip scores but he is not going to breed them together again even though Ruby is the only one to have problems.

He's know my Dad for years and is a good guy, but it's amazing how many peoples first reaction is "Are you going to sue the breeder?"

Rubys DNA has worked out this way and she won't be having puppies and her Mum and Dad won't be either so that's one link eliminated hopefully.

I am so much calmer today knowing what is happening and what to expect, no tears as I gave her a big cuddle but a watery eye as I write this now :roll:

We will be doing the rehab there too and after the first 3 weeks will be doing some at home training with a local trainer I have found who is highly recommended so I can keep Ruby's brain busy and tire her out that way.

Once again I can't say enough good things about the firum, both from before diagnosis, to support after the surgery.

We are all so lucky to have the support of each other.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update, will post more later.

Basically when they took xrays and felt the left hand side today it was a no go for the TPO, not as good a chance of success Noel felt.

Ruby will be having a hip replacement tomorrow instead 8O

And the Kennel Club Insurance are being idiots and delaying paying so we will have to foot full bill and claim back from them 8O 8O 8O 8O

I'm off to look for a credit card with a £20,000 limit

At least there are a few good things...

Rehab is the same time, not sure if more or less painful....

Loads of credit card air miles

We'll just have to love more metal and less bone in our poochy

One bionic pooch on the way, surgery tomorrow morning after Noels consultation clinic

8)

·
Registered
422 Posts
oh no gareth so sorry to hea this,poor little Ruby.It's awful when our dogs start to recover and feel a bit better and then we know we have to knock them back to square 1,makes you feel very quilty.Yu need to look at the long term though and know yu're doing the best for your dog.
Sorry Ruby now needs HR rather than TPO but as you know from this site there is light at the end of the tunnel.Stupid insurance company hopefully they will get their butts in gear and pay up ASAP.Will be thinking of you and little Ruby tomorrow,got fingers and paws crossed here for a speedy recovery.

Chin up to you all xx

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Oh gosh!! What a rollercoaster you are all on!!!
At least he discovered before the op that the hip wasn't suitable, better than than half-way thru the op!!!
More vibes heading your way for tomorrow instead!!!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Thinking of you tomorrow, good luck Ruby!

I hope she makes a quick uneventful recovery

XX

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
sorry to hear there is a change of plan - but at least they're getting on with it quickly. Hope the op goes well tomorrow - will check in for an update

Will be thinking of Ruby tomorrow

·
Registered
45,877 Posts
Its a good thing that Noel does a good examination before he operates, I`m sure he wouldn`t say Ruby need a full HR is he didn`t feel that was the best way to go, will be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping all goes well for Ruby.

As for the Ins Co :roll: , so much for the KC!, hope they get their backsides in gear and pay up soon, would be a real problem if you weren`t able to cover the bills yourself though.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
Sorry to hear that Ruby has to have a full hip replacement, sending good luck for you all tomorrow and {{{{{{{{{healing vibes}}}}}}}}}}}} for Ruby :)

·
Registered
13,264 Posts
Only just caught up with this ................bless poor Ruby :(
Gareth the hip replacement op isn't as bad as the previous one she's had . After reading your posts about it, Baxter like Wendy's Charlie has had both sides done and has recovered well and was walking day after .

Everything crossed for her and she'll be running round pain free before you know it :wink:

·
Premium Member
15,716 Posts
I agree with Marie. I think the recovery time is a bit quicker than the TPO - Charlie came home the day after the op and was walking without support - only to the garden for a wee of course!

Good luck for tomorrow

1 - 20 of 86 Posts